Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need new glass... Zeiss? Leupold?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need new glass... Zeiss? Leupold?

ive downsized too. I used to race dirt bikes and snowmobiles in my younger days but the back operations took that away. I even a couple months ago got rid of my polaris rzr and my yam raptor. All i have left now is my grizzly and my wrangler and a pickup and my artic cat crossfire.. My mind still says speed but my back has taken over control of the common sense section of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Yeah, I don't play in it as much as I used to, so I'm workin on selling most of my offroad trucks and parts (minus 4-wheeler, use it for hunting too). If I could sell all of them for a reasonable price, I'd be able to buy some nice new guns! LOL Which is what I'm hoping to do. A man CAN have too many trucks and vehicles, but he can NEVER have too many guns.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Heard that... I raced moto-x for 9 years. My mid-back, feet, and ankles are about trashed. I raced green, but ways been a blue & red fan.

I got rid of my Raptor a few years back.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

Janno05

GO to a Cabela's or Bass Pro or local shop where they have the glass you are looking for on the shelf and look thru both. Look into the darkest corners of the store. MAKE SURE you ADJUST the EYEPIECE for your eye focus prior. If you don't know how read up.

In store is not the best but maybe if you leave your wallet with them they'll let you take outside and look faaaar away into the dark corners of the earth. Make sure you know how to adjust a scope though.

Either of these scopes are great but my money would go with Zeiss. The Luppy people are good folks too as are the Zeiss service departments. Not that I had Zeiss ever go back but have had Luppy's go back more than once. That said they have changed their quality control and are much better now. I just think the Zeiss is clearer and work better for my old eyes.

I just have a Honda Recon for pulling out dead critters.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 PM

I am also looking for a new scope. Think we could stop seeing who has the biggest "opinion" and maybe get back on the track of the thread?

If you were to purchase a new scope, let's say for a .308, shooting out to say 800 yards, for under $1000.00 what would you buy?

Please support your position with facts and comparisons to current models (let's say less then 3 years old)

I don't mean to be rude, but if I wanted to watch a bunch of dogs piss on each others spot, I go to the dog park.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 AM
Gold Member

I dont want to get into any more ******* matchs with the brand cheerleaders so ill just say this. IF your looking at 800 yard shooting for the most part standard line rifles scopes arent what you really are going to want. You need superior optics and tracking thats very precise. That puts you into the 1000 dollar price range. High end vortex, leupolds, zeiss, nikons ect will get it done or you can step up in price and get a nightforce which is probably the prefered scope for serious long range work. Most of these dedicated long range scopes also have a bit more elevation ajustment built into them and with a 308 at 800 yards your going to need it.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:08 AM

Thanks Lloyd. I was using $1000.00 as an upper limit. The max distance would be 1000 yds. I am looking at Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. That hits right at $1000 limit. Anybody use Vortex (Seekins?) precision matched rings?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Like I stated in my previous reply, I think Vortex is the best Long Range scope under $1k. I did a lot of research and had the same questions you have now. I read a lot of reviews and went and looked at a lot of scopes. Leupolds are too expensive for what you get, Nikon didn't have the quality/clarity I was looking for. Nightforce are awesome, but in no way are they twice as good as Vortex. So for half the price of NF I went with the Vortex viper PST secured with Evolution Gun Werks rings and picitanny rale. So far no issues or regrets.