Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need new glass... Zeiss? Leupold?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need new glass... Zeiss? Leupold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
I chuckle when guys buy conquests thinking they bought a real ziess scope. These are not even in the same universe as there top line scopes. Using logic how do you think they go from a 2k scope to a 300 dollar scope? The differnce in the price of the tube is minimal. Its the lenses that are the most expensive part of the scope and thats where corners are cut with conquests. How is it you figure that ziess can make all the components in germany where labor is higher then here, pay to ship it all here to be assembled and sell them cheaper the we can make them or even the japs. Like i said ive got two conquests and like others thought i really had something till i compared them side by side to other 3-400 dollars scopes and i sure know what my eyes told me. there a 300 dollar scope period. Just because they have zeiss printed on them doesnt make them anything more other then to brand snobs. Kind of like putting cadilac stickers on a chevette to me. thanks but ill stick to leupold. there american made, have decent glass, are about as reliable as they come, are used by more professional hunters then all other brands combined and thats who i listen to, Men who actually use them in the field for a living nots salesmen and did i say there american made. Also go to about any competitive rilfe competiion and youll still see more leupolds on the line then any other scope. Sorry but when you lump conquests right in with all zeiss products when making a recomendation and saying there right up there with Kahles your smoking crack. Its a salesmans dream. Slap a premium name on a buget product and set the hook. Before anyone jumps in and thinks im bashing there first born child remember i have two of these and there decent scopes for the money in my opinion but sure not what some will proclaim. Kind of like the people who bought cadilac cimmerons. Tell them they bought a cavalier and theyd go ballistic but putting caddy badges on a cheap chev doesnt make a cadilac.

You are bitter arent you?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

why would you think me bitter. I have what i like and even happily use my ziess scopes. Sorry if my attitude scars you off. Ive allways been one that tells it like i see it. I dont pay much attention to much i havent seen with my own two eyes. granted im far from an optics expert and never claimed to be anything of the sort. I have though been hunting for 45 years and have had more rilfes and scopes then the average ten people probably have owned and have killed as many deer as most 20 people you can get together in one place. I tend to talk up what has worked for me and tell it like it is if something doesnt measure up. I chuckle at some who take it so personal. Its like the chevy-ford argument. Youd think some people think they had a hand in actually making there trucks or scopes or that your calling them stupid for not buying something you prefer. I tell it like it is and if that offends you I guess theres an igore buttom somewhere on here. Bottom line is ill continue to give my honest opinions and hopefully help someone else not make some of the mistakes i have through the years. Nope theres not an once of BS or bitterness in my opinions and if you check around on a few other forums youll see my opinions are respected. WHY? because there my opinions based on actual field and life experiences not opinions gleaned from internet bs. ;)

Last edited by lloydsmale; 03-14-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

I think that's why you and I butt heads so much lloyd. We're too much alike. LOL

I also tell of my own experiences instead of spreading typical internet BS.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM

Vortex Viper PST 4-16 IMHO is the best scope under $1k for what you have. Very clear and accurate. 800 yards may be tough to hit consistently if you're shooting a .30-'06 with a factory barrel and trigger. May want to look at upgrading those when available. Until then, 500 yards is a more realistic hunting range.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Gold Member

My kind of man! By the way i love playing in the mud too. A little more when i was younger but still get dirty occasionaly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I think that's why you and I butt heads so much lloyd. We're too much alike. LOL

I also tell of my own experiences instead of spreading typical internet BS.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
why would you think me bitter. I have what i like and even happily use my ziess scopes. Sorry if my attitude scars you off. Ive allways been one that tells it like i see it. I dont pay much attention to much i havent seen with my own two eyes. granted im far from an optics expert and never claimed to be anything of the sort. I have though been hunting for 45 years and have had more rilfes and scopes then the average ten people probably have owned and have killed as many deer as most 20 people you can get together in one place. I tend to talk up what has worked for me and tell it like it is if something doesnt measure up. I chuckle at some who take it so personal. Its like the chevy-ford argument. Youd think some people think they had a hand in actually making there trucks or scopes or that your calling them stupid for not buying something you prefer. I tell it like it is and if that offends you I guess theres an igore buttom somewhere on here. Bottom line is ill continue to give my honest opinions and hopefully help someone else not make some of the mistakes i have through the years. Nope theres not an once of BS or bitterness in my opinions and if you check around on a few other forums youll see my opinions are respected. WHY? because there my opinions based on actual field and life experiences not opinions gleaned from internet bs. ;)

NOTHING about you scares me dude. Your analogy flat sucks but you think it to be gospel...thats the sad part. And you dont "tell it like it is"...you tell it like you wish it was or believe it to be.

What if 9 companys went together and made parts for Conquest scopes and Ziess put their name on it! ( Analogy sound familiar???) Does it make it any less a Zeiss product especially if Zeiss is the one that will warranty repair it?

Or what about 1 company making products than a second company brands and sells? ( Show me the Craftsman tool plant will ya?) I love my GE toaster...made by Black and Decker!!

A Conquest scope might be a God send to shooters or a piece of ****....bu tif it is a POS...its not because of the bogus reasons you put forth.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My kind of man! By the way i love playing in the mud too. A little more when i was younger but still get dirty occasionaly.
Yeah, I don't play in it as much as I used to, so I'm workin on selling most of my offroad trucks and parts (minus 4-wheeler, use it for hunting too). If I could sell all of them for a reasonable price, I'd be able to buy some nice new guns! LOL Which is what I'm hoping to do. A man CAN have too many trucks and vehicles, but he can NEVER have too many guns.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.