Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 285
Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

I know things change so frequently in the optics world I thought a new request for info would be appropriate.

I am looking for a long range (1000) capable scope to mount on a .243 AI rifle.
I am wanting to spend under $1000, way under if possible, but understand you get what you pay for to a degree. Without going all the way to a NF or Mark 4 what do you all suggest?
__________________
"Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: BLOOMSBURG, PA
Posts: 892
Re: Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

Without a doubt Sightron SIII
As of right now I won't use anything else..glass is great they track great and they look good.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 285
Re: Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

JUDD, which Sightron scope and reticle would you specifically go for? I heard that some dont have the MOA adjustments to get to 1000. I have a line on a 6-24x SIII with mildot but wondering if it is the right one to get.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDD View Post
Without a doubt Sightron SIII
As of right now I won't use anything else..glass is great they track great and they look good.
__________________
"Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: BLOOMSBURG, PA
Posts: 892
Re: Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

I use the 8-32x56 SIII. It got to to 1K with a 6-284, a 338 lapua, 7mm dakota, 6.5- 284, 338-408 cheytac.

It has 70 MOA adjustment in a 30MM tube. Get a 20-30 MOA base and you will have more then enough.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: utah
Posts: 366
Re: Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
I know things change so frequently in the optics world I thought a new request for info would be appropriate.

I am looking for a long range (1000) capable scope to mount on a .243 AI rifle.
I am wanting to spend under $1000, way under if possible, but understand you get what you pay for to a degree. Without going all the way to a NF or Mark 4 what do you all suggest?
heres the one i use. goin on two years of abuse from a 300 wm still workin like new!

Millett Sights - Long Range Scope
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 22
Re: Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

Well, I am going to give you my 2cents. I mean no disrespect to anyone before me just what I have learned from my personal experience. I had a sightron for 2 seasons on my elk gun and couldn't give it away fast enough. I have always been a Leupold lover, just thought I would try the sightron. Never again. I now shoot the Huskemaw scope and as I can afford it, the Huskemaw brand will reside on all my bullet launchers. I know they are $1149, a bit over your budget, but well worth the price. They are designed and built specifically for long range hunting and come with a custom turret. NICE GLASS! Good warranty,good people. Like I said, just my 2cents!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 11
Re: Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryede View Post
Well, I am going to give you my 2cents. I mean no disrespect to anyone before me just what I have learned from my personal experience. I had a sightron for 2 seasons on my elk gun and couldn't give it away fast enough. I have always been a Leupold lover, just thought I would try the sightron. Never again. I now shoot the Huskemaw scope and as I can afford it, the Huskemaw brand will reside on all my bullet launchers. I know they are $1149, a bit over your budget, but well worth the price. They are designed and built specifically for long range hunting and come with a custom turret. NICE GLASS! Good warranty,good people. Like I said, just my 2cents!
Could you elaborate on the problems you had with the Sightron? Which model?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new to long range shooting and need advice on scope squeeze dont jerk The Basics, Starting Out 5 08-11-2011 11:24 AM
Long Range Shooting Advice mdslammer Long Range Hunting & Shooting 17 07-01-2010 05:17 AM
Advice on a Long Range Gun! matt_3479 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 6 04-21-2010 10:26 PM
need advice on long range gun trgtsnpr General Discussion 4 01-21-2007 08:34 AM
Need long range advice on stock, scope, etc. 308 The Basics, Starting Out 3 09-09-2002 02:50 PM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 31.62%
74 Votes
NO - 50.85%
119 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 17.52%
41 Votes
Total Votes: 234
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC