Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need Ideas for Mountain Rifle Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

Re: Need Ideas for Mountain Rifle Scope

Kiwi,

Currently have the Leupold 4.5-14x40 CDS on my .243. The problem that I have with the scope is the lack of adjustment for parallax. Sure, I can dial up for a 750 yd. shot, but the animal is a blur. I end of messing with the ocular eye piece trying to get things back in focus. Just doesn't work for me.

Tom,

Not sure a fixed 6x power scope would be enough for 800-900 yd. shots, which I think would be about max for this caliber in this configuration.

All,

The Z-5 fits the bill, but a bit pricey. I looked at Zeiss, but cannot abide the fact that their turrets dial up the opposite direction as most US Mfgs.

I appreciate the ideas and brainstorming. Anyone else with an idea is welcome to chime in.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
Kiwi,

Currently have the Leupold 4.5-14x40 CDS on my .243. The problem that I have with the scope is the lack of adjustment for parallax. Sure, I can dial up for a 750 yd. shot, but the animal is a blur. I end of messing with the ocular eye piece trying to get things back in focus. Just doesn't work for me.
Can't say I had that problem, I have 5 or 6 of them.

Also I found that I could only get about 4-5" of parallax induced POA shift at 1000 by moving top to btm of the eye box
Old 02-15-2014, 04:44 AM
Silver Member

There is one scope on the market that matches all your criteria:

The new Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-14x42

It's sleek and has extraordinary good optics, 1" tube, paralax 50 - inifinite, 90mm eye relief, MOA - clicks, 5 x zoom and all you can think of. Basically an easy choice to be taken, go and find out!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Gold Member

If I am not mistaken, the Zeiss Conquest scope line all have elevation turrets that move or rotate in the opposite direction that most other scopes. With Nightforce, Leupold, Vortex, Sightron, etc. you dial up by turning the turret counterclockwise. With the Zeiss, you dial up by turning the turret clockwise. In the heat of the moment. this could become a real problem. I can't help but think it would be wise to try and keep the mechanical workings of my scopes the same.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
If I am not mistaken, the Zeiss Conquest scope line all have elevation turrets that move or rotate in the opposite direction that most other scopes. With Nightforce, Leupold, Vortex, Sightron, etc. you dial up by turning the turret counterclockwise. With the Zeiss, you dial up by turning the turret clockwise. In the heat of the moment. this could become a real problem. I can't help but think it would be wise to try and keep the mechanical workings of my scopes the same.
I never did recognize that, even though I own both Zeiss, Leupold and Docter scopes. For me personally it's decisive to have the best lenses/glasses possible, because I like to have a decent and cristall clear image while observating game and a potential target. If you have got other preferences, so it's of course your personal thing!