Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need help vortex scope zero/dope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help vortex scope zero/dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj
You understand just because the scope is zeroed it does not mean the rifle and scope is zeroed? Generally centering the cross hair is done when installing a scope on a rifle for the first time to see how well it lines with the rifle bore. Beyond that it does nothing for zeroing the rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow41 View Post
Yes lol I know, I wanted to see how much elevation I had available to me and figure out what those referance lines ment
Just curious but after centering the cross hair how far off from the true zero was it. I have a pre 64 with a 10 MOA rail and it was really close after allowing the 10 MOA. Windage was off like 2 MOA. The early Win receivers seem to be machined quite accurately.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Need help vortex scope zero/dope

The horizontal lines are indicators for how many turns you dial the scope up for longer range shots. It looks like the scope is 1 turn up from the bottom in the picture. If you rotate up 1 full turn, you will see another horizontal line. 2 turns, 2 lines etc. Once you have taken the long range shot, you can return to the original zero range by dialing back down to the line it is on now. As noted before, they are just for reference and don't normally line up exactly when the rifle is zeroed, but are usefull depending on what you are doing with it. If you only zero it at 200 yards and never shoot at any other ranges, you don't need to look them. If you dial the scope for a 1000 yard shot (for example), you can quickly return it back to the site in range of 100, 200, 250, or whatever you have it zero'd at. I put a peace of thin pin stripe tape around my turret even with the bottom of the turret drum so I don't need to remember which line is my 200 yard zero.