Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need help shimming scope bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help shimming scope bases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Whipple View Post
BB,
Thanks. 'This is exactly the option I was looking for. I had heard of them but wasn't aware you could get 20moa with them. When using these offset inserts, do you have to use offsets in both rings, or can you use the .020 in one and the regular insert in the other?
Not to butt in but you have to offset both rings 10 MOA opposite of each other for a total of 20
MOA,

You can also get different offsets in the burris rings if you don't want 20 MOA.

With the offset bases available nowadays you have plenty of options without shimming.

J E CUSTOM

Unread 05-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

You type too slow.
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:20 AM

Thanks again Bob. The +10 and -10 makes sense. I've placed an order with Midway and should be GTG by next weekend.
Unread 05-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
You type too slow.
Tell me about it !!

J E CUSTOM
Unread 05-24-2009, 09:11 PM

The shims I got from Leupold were .010 inch thick. As I have one piece bases, I didn't need to re-lap the rings as both changed angle together. However, my guess is that because the back ring is changing angle while the front ring isn't that there would be some mis-alignment of the rings.

But, as I haven't ever used a two piece base set up, I don't know if the change in angle is enough to bugger up the scope. I imagine at the very least, it will show marks on the scope from where the top front and rear lower bite into the scope a bit harder.
Unread 05-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. You can see how to accomplish things using shims or custom bases. You can also accomplish the same thing with the Burris ring inserts. Just thought I'd put these up in case anyone was interested. Please note that the picture examples are very exagerated to make it easier to see.

Unread 05-25-2009, 06:20 PM

For SS7

Absolutely outstanding graphics and explanation. I have rifles with the MOA machined into the base, and have used the shim/bed method. I found out about the screw issue the hard way, but was fortunate to be able to locate proper screws. The shim wasn't high enough to throw off the base/receiver holes-I didn't even have difficulty getting the threads to catch.

Although both methods worked out fine for me, I think that having the base with the angle machined into it is the best option, and certainly the least work.

But for those folks lacking access to a base with the angle machined into it, doing the shim/bed (with a one piece base) might be the only option until the proper base can be located. I sure wouldn't recommend shimming a two piece base setup (unless you don't care what happens to your scope, and performance isn't an issue).