Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need help with a Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 PM

Need help with a Scope

I recently purchased a Remington Model 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in 300 Win Mag. I plan on using this rifle to deer hunt with. I typically have an average shot of 250 yards but have some stands that reach out past 500 yards. I am looking for a good long range hunting scope that will fit my hunting needs. I plan on taking this gun out West one day and shooting elk. I am wanting a scope that can reach out to 1000 yards but still be able to hunt deer with it. My price range would be under $2500
Im a Zeiss man and have always loved their optics. Im looking at a Zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24x56 scope for my Remington Model 700 SPS LRT rifle. I plan on deer hunting, shooting long distance as a hobby, and plan on going out West one day for elk. I want a good piece of glass that can be universal for what I like to do. I was also looking at two Nightforces:5.5-2256 NXS and 8-3256 NXS. Any opinions or other requests? I would prefer a 30mm tube over a 34mm. Thanks
Old 08-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: Need help with a Scope

The nxs 5.5-22x56 will do everything you want it to do. The 8x might be too much for closer shots, but more magnification is always nice on those long ones. If you don't take many shots less than 250 like you said, I'd probably get the 8-32.

The classifieds on here are a good place to look.
NIGHTFORCE NXS 5.5x22x56 .250 MOA NP-R1

5.5 model, but comes with a really nice level.

Last edited by NWmissouriman; 08-24-2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: added a link
Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Need help with a Scope

Having both Zeiss and Nightforce scopes I can honestly say Zeiss holds a slight edge in "clarity" at the highest powers. However, with Nightforce you know what you are getting; and whats absolutely MOST important when shooting long range...... Repeatability and consistency of the turrets!! You will see what your shooting at with both brands. But with Nightforce when you turn your dial to, say, 28.5 moa then back to zero, you know with confidence you are back to your zero every time regardless of how any times you turn your turrets. Everyone gets soooooo caught up on glass clarity, is it important?-absolutely. But what everyone forgets about is its the quality and repeatability of the turrets is what makes tactical a long range scope a quality piece of equipment. With Nightforce you know for a fact what you are getting!!

Just sayin