Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need help mounting a Zeiss scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2002, 03:10 PM
Bronze Member

Need help mounting a Zeiss scope

I want to mount a new Zeiss Diavari VM/V 3-12x56T* with #8 Illuminated reticle 30mm scope to a Rem 700 KS Custom Shop .300 Win Mag rifle.

My problem: What rings & bases do I mount the scope in? I am willing to buy GOOD rings & bases from Badger Ordnance, Niteforce, Kelby, Jewell, etc. I have 2 sets of standard height Badger Ordnance rings with 1" inserts I picked up, but I know they won't work with the 56mm objective. I also like the Burris Signature Zee rings with live inserts. Have considered Kelby rings w/ Kelby Rem bases and heard or read that Jewell is also coming out with live center rings.

HELP!!! I want to mount this scope securely and without making ring marks on it, if possible. I have lapped Leupold & Ruger rings before and I have Sinclair & Russ Haydon ring lapping kits, so if necessary, lapping is no big deal.

All input is appreciated.

Regards,
Clay

Old 08-25-2002, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help mounting a Zeiss scope

I have a 3-12 VMV Zeiss scope mounted on a custom built short-action Rem. 700 in standard height Badgers on a Near base and it fits fine. Not a lot of space at the front-end but I can still put on the factory covers. I prefer to use a Scopecoat on it, much better protection than the factory lens covers.
Might be worth trying your rings, don't forget the rail style base lifts the rings up a fair bit. The Badger 20moa base should work.
I am confident that you could also use other mounts but doubt if they would be as strong.