Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need help mounting new scope to Rugger M77 mkII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help mounting new scope to Rugger M77 mkII

Dude, I have 2 Ruger M77 MKII rifles (tang safety models). So yes, I know what you're talking about. But it's still not possible. The scope would never seat, unless the rings had been reamed at a downward angle, which would be next to impossible of that have happened.

I'm sorry, it still just doesn't make sense. It's basic geometry that a line sittin on top of 2 other flat-top blocks of different heights that are attached at the bottom on a single plane, that the line will be canted at an angle, and will not be properly seated (touching flat and evenly) to the blocks.

I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna remove one of my scopes just to prove this point. Any idiot who's EVER mounted a scope could tell you that, unless the rings have been milled to be mounted on an angle, it just ain't happening without some damage to something somewhere...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Dude, I have 2 Ruger M77 MKII rifles (tang safety models). So yes, I know what you're talking about. But it's still not possible. The scope would never seat, unless the rings had been reamed at a downward angle, which would be next to impossible of that have happened.

I'm sorry, it still just doesn't make sense. It's basic geometry that a line sittin on top of 2 other flat-top blocks of different heights that are attached at the bottom on a single plane, that the line will be canted at an angle, and will not be properly seated (touching flat and evenly) to the blocks.

I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna remove one of my scopes just to prove this point. Any idiot who's EVER mounted a scope could tell you that, unless the rings have been milled to be mounted on an angle, it just ain't happening without some damage to something somewhere...
So why does ruger call for two different rings?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

You got me on that one.....Forgot the Ruger action has 2 different heights built into it. No clue why the hell they ever did that, other than stupidity and trying to be different to have their own proprietary rings.

It's been about 12 years since I installed a set of rings on a Ruger 77.

That's my bad. I'm not too proud to admit when I make an error. I was thinking the action was the same height on them, like it is on the Remingtons and Weatherbys, since those were the most recent guns I've mounted scopes to.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Cramer06

Sorry to clutter your thread. Good luck with your scope mounting!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Sorry I call bullcrap...It is impossible. He would never get solid contact. 2 items of different heights with flat tops on a single plane will never match up properly and flat with a straight line connecting them.

Why do you think they make raised and angled bases instead of people just using 2 different height rings.....
The mounting locations of the rings are not the same height.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

First, sorry for screwing up your thread.

Yes, I remember this now, after I had already posted twice......I knew that I was in the wrong, but it didn't hit me until it was too late. I started thinking back and then remembered that I had do that with my 2 Rugers. I haven't messed with them much in the last 5-6 years. They pretty much sit in the safe and collect dust, being that they are a big & little brother pair of the hard to find (these days) skeleton stocked stainless 77's. The full-size is a 7mm Rem Mag, and the little one is a Mountain Rifle model in 7mm-08. Had the 7mm-08 since new about 13 years ago, and bought the 7mm RemMag about 2 years later.

Guess I should wait until after lunch next time to make sure I was fully awake...I'm not a mornin person, and for some reason I was in a combative mood this morning. Guess I'll have to rethink next time before i post.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 PM

No prob. I'm guilty of being wrong a time or two, myself. Mine is the stainless/black skeleton stock. Growing more fond of that gun everyday. Looks cool and shoots great.