Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need help figuring out what heighth of scope ring to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 PM

Need help figuring out what heighth of scope ring to buy

I bought a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 that will be here in the middle of the week. I have a hunt this coming weekend and would like to have it mounted and sighted in before this weekend. For this to happen I need to order rings before the scope get here so they will be here in time. I planned on ordering some from the vortex website but can not decide what height to order. My scope base is about 5/8 of an inch above the barrel and it is a picatinny base. Can anyone help me with what height I would need. Sorry this is my first time buying scope rings and without the scope in hand it's hard for me to decide what to buy.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Need help figuring out what heighth of scope ring to buy

missing a couple of details to determine that answer, what kind of rifle and barrel contour is this scope being mounted??

Most scopes with a 50mm objective lens will require a high ring, unless its a thin barrel contour then you may be able to get away with a medium, if the contour of the barrel is larger, then super high may be needed.

But tough to say without the details mentioned above
Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

I have the same scope as you are getting on my Remington 700P. They are sitting in a set of Burris Extreme medium height rings. Works fine. Been thinking about setting in some low rings to see if it would work.

Hope this is some help.

Jason
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

I have a Vortex Viper with a 44mm objective lens mounted on my Ruger American 308Win with a barrel that tapers down to pencil thin tube very quickly and there is room for a 50mm lens scope with the medium weaver style rings, but if it were on a heavy barreled rifle I would need high rings even with the 44mm. I probably could have gotten by with low rings but the mediums don't bother me at all.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeD2233 View Post
I bought a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 that will be here in the middle of the week. I have a hunt this coming weekend and would like to have it mounted and sighted in before this weekend. For this to happen I need to order rings before the scope get here so they will be here in time. I planned on ordering some from the vortex website but can not decide what height to order. My scope base is about 5/8 of an inch above the barrel and it is a picatinny base. Can anyone help me with what height I would need. Sorry this is my first time buying scope rings and without the scope in hand it's hard for me to decide what to buy.

I have a Vortex 4-16 X 50 HS sitting on a 10 MOA Near picatinny rail using medium Vortex Precision rings over a #5 taper Brux barrel and the fit is perfect. I think the medium Vortex Precision (Seekins) rings will work. There is about 3/16" clearance between the barrel and the bell.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Ok thanks for all the help went with the medium vortex rings and worked perfect.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

Anyone use vortexs low rings with PST 50mm and Remington heavy varmint . With 20moa rail also??