Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need advise on lr scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need advise on lr scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOS View Post
LouBoyd

Ihear you but still what scope would you recommend irrispective of price?

TMOS.
I can't recommend what YOU should buy. What you're trying to accomplish is all important. Just saying hunting and target shooting isn't very descriptive. What do you consider "long range" for hunting and target shooting? What do you hunt? Where do you hunt? What style of hunting? What type of target shooting?
What instrumentation do you use regularly?

My two favorite scopes are the Leupoold Mk4 16x40 of (mil dot or target dot doesn't matter much). The other is the Horus Falcon with the H37 Reticle. The Horus Falcon would be hands down my favorite but it weighs 33 oz versus 22 oz for the Mk 4 Leupold. I own more Burris 10x40 mil-dots than any other scope but they're mostly on on ARs and "offhand" bolt actions. They're a "best buy" for light weight "moa" shooting to 600 + yards.

I favor 16x for most long range shooting. When looking though 1000+ yards of atmosphere more than 40mm objective diameter and more than 16x rarely makes any improvment in accuracy, at least not in the Arizona high desert where I shoot. The period of time at sunrise and sunset where the larger objective is significant for usable image brightness is under 15 minutes. Scope magnification, resolution, or brightenss is rarely a limitation to my shooting accuracy. Uncertinaly in downrange wind deflection almost always is the limiting factor. Doping crosswinds in clear air and little or no windblown vegetation is very difficult. More scope simply doesn't help. Sighter shot work well when impact dust puffs are visible and for that there's nothing better than the Horus reticles, at least not that's availabe in a riflescope.

You could buy a S&B, Hensholt, or US Optics for 2 to 3 x more money with the Horus H37 reticle. In my opiinion that mostly just gets you more tears if you drop your rifle on rocks scope first. No scope will survive that.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

I'm using a S&B PMII 4-16x50 with Holland's ART reticle for the same use and distances you have described. It works great. It is heavy, but it is not too bulky, the turrets have been precise, and the glass provides a fantastic image. I have been shooting small varmints and similar sized targets out to 1200 yards. I also use a 2.5-10x32 Nightforce on my elk rifle. It is a really good scope as well, and I have shot small varmints out to 600 with it. For comparison sake, I set both scopes to 10 and looked at the same hillside, at ranges from 600 to 1000. Okay, a lot of difference in the objective lenses, but still, the image through the S&B provides detail that makes it look like HD compared to a standard view. I have this mounted on an 11lb long range rifle, but would not find it overpowering on an 8 lb hunting rifle.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I concur with LouBoyd's advice, especially with respect to glare and contrast. If you are used to S&B and Zeiss, which have high contrast, don't be persuaded to look at Vortex (except for Razor), Sightron SIII or Super Sniper. They will not have nearly the same contrast.

For big game hunting, you should stick with a large objective (50 mm or larger). If it were a target only scope, then 40 mm would be fine.

Your applications seem to dictate a large zoom ratio of at least 5:1.

How important is weight to you? If you need to minimize weight, then you should look closely at Leupold VX-6 and Swarovski Z5 or Z6.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent

Last edited by bruce_ventura; 08-29-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:14 AM

Just want to let you know i ordered a March 5-50x56 with mlr-3 reticle, i shall have to wait for 8 weeks for delivery. I really hope i did the right thing.Now for the waiting!!!!!
TMOS.