Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need advice on scope selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Need advice on scope selection

Hi fellas,

I've bit off a kind of a chunk and could use a little advise.

For a new build, most probably my last hurrah a MK-4 or Nightforce has been recommended.

By way of background I have a Weaver Tactical (FFP) and a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20.

Of the two scopes the one that is favored is the Weaver due to the FFP. That feature, for me, out weights several other negatives such as untrustworthy clicks.

To get a bit of lesser weight and a FFP retical I'm leaning towards a Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 ER/T 30mm.

Cost of a Leuy and a NF is close enough that $ aren't a factor. Would the NF's 2 extra power make 'that' much difference at very long range?

What would be your recommendation?

All other things being considered the deal breaker would be how whatever scope I get will hold up to a braked 375 Allen Mag.

Or who has the best customer service and warranty

Old 04-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Need advice on scope selection

IMHO a 2X difference is extremely minimal. I certainly would not let that be the deciding factor in my desicion. A 20x class scope is a 20x class scope whether it is 20 or 22x.

Both Lupy and NF have excellent CS and warrenty.

I have two primary rifles. Each has their own scope. One has a lupy MK4 fixed 10x and one has a 22x NXS.

The rifle sporting the lupy is my "pack" rifle and still hunting rifle. The scope is lighter than the NXS and for the purposes I need it for, does perfect. Short quick shots or out to 800 yard shots after carrying the rifle all day.

The bigger scope goes on the bigger rifle where weight is of little concern. I also use this rig for the really long shots (over 800 yards). I usually dont back pack with it unless I have to. It stays in the truck or on the 4 wheeler most of the time or when I am hunting 1-2 miles from a base camp in user friendly terrain in other than "pack in" situations.

I dont know if this post makes any sense but I hope you get the idea.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.