Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Near Mfg. - Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2008, 07:15 AM

Near Mfg. - Opinions?

I stumbled upon their website last night. Anybody here use their stuff?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

I have a good friend that uses their bases and sometimes their rings. He swears by them. My first base is on it's way.

Jeff
Old 06-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

The Near items are top cabin. Not an opinion but a fact.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

I have installed one opf their bases on one rifle and while it was very well made I would not pay that much more for them over a Badger or Nightforce. Glenn Seekins makes his bases out of 7000 series aluminum and they are build as well or better than any other I have seen. The Aluminum bases are stronger than what you will ever need.

Thats one reason I would not use them but the main reason was the way i was treated the few times i called them about making a base for me or weather or not one they made would fit what i had , The first time i called and inquired about using one of their bases on another action and if it would fit , they guy said buy one and try it , but when i asked if i could return it in as new condition if it diden't he laughed and said hell no !! so then I asked about making a one off base for this action ,he said sure they could they would need the action , it would probnably be 9 months to a year for it and would cost between $300 and $500 dollars , W T F

I woulden't buy their stuff if it was half price !!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

I use near bases and rings. Very expensive! Worth it! I also love the nightforce. for the money they cant be beat.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Silver Member

Had To Wait to Long

I own 2 of there bases for my XP's. The first one took monthes to get and then wanted the ring's to go with it but my Smith called and was ready to put my gun together so I just went with some Farrell's he had. The second base was supposed to be a new aluminum style that he was working on and again I waited till my Smith called, so I called him and after almost a year of waiting he made it. He is a strange cookie I don't know if he has to much on his plate or what but you have to have better service than that I don't care how good your product is.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:02 AM

I thank you guys for your responses. I understand your likes/dislikes equally. I have several T'SOB scope mounts from SSK Industries. They are the same design in aluminum. They are very tough. I'd like to say I would use nothing else BUT, dealing with J.D. Jones is similar to feeding a tiger. You never know when he'll purr or claw you.

I really would prefer good aluminum stuff. My gun already weighs 8.4 lbs with Talley's. Those bases/rings come in at 5 ounces. I really have no complaints thus far with the Talley's but have always had an affinity for the picattiny style.