Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Is my scope giving me large groups?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 AM

Is my scope giving me large groups?

I was hoping someone with more experience than me could help with this one....

I have a .260 that I'm struggling to get to shoot well. It is custom made with quality components and the smithing has been checked over. The gun is in theory "good to go" I've been reloading with match dies and components, fired cases and loaded rounds checked for concentricity- all good there too.

So I sent it to someone else to try out. They couldn't really beat the MOA that I was geting with their loads and the 3-5-10 VXIII that is on top. They tried their own 6.5-20 leupy and then started shooting 1/2 MOA. His reasoning for the improvement was he could now see the movement of the gun on the target and could place the shots better. He also commented that a jewell trigger would help my group size too.

I was talking to a local guru about it, and he seems to think it is the scope at fault. He thinks that you should still be able to shoot 1/2 MOA at 10x as well at at 20x.

My questions are:
1. could the scope be faulty?
2. Do I need a larger scope and new trigger?

I'm also not doubting the fact that it could all be the fault of the "nut behing the butt"

Thanks in advance
Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 AM
Silver Member

Re: Is my scope giving me large groups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gota6.5 View Post
I was hoping someone with more experience than me could help with this one....

I have a .260 that I'm struggling to get to shoot well. It is custom made with quality components and the smithing has been checked over. The gun is in theory "good to go" I've been reloading with match dies and components, fired cases and loaded rounds checked for concentricity- all good there too.

So I sent it to someone else to try out. They couldn't really beat the MOA that I was geting with their loads and the 3-5-10 VXIII that is on top. They tried their own 6.5-20 leupy and then started shooting 1/2 MOA. His reasoning for the improvement was he could now see the movement of the gun on the target and could place the shots better. He also commented that a jewell trigger would help my group size too.

I was talking to a local guru about it, and he seems to think it is the scope at fault. He thinks that you should still be able to shoot 1/2 MOA at 10x as well at at 20x.

My questions are:
1. could the scope be faulty?
2. Do I need a larger scope and new trigger?

I'm also not doubting the fact that it could all be the fault of the "nut behing the butt"

Thanks in advance
Yes and No. lol Kinda doubt the scope is the true problem as long as it isn't shifting. Higher magnification might help with your placement though. You might also try a different target. If your reticle covers up the entire black then of course you won't be able to hold consistently. You need something to shoot at that will allow you to easily keep your reticle centered on your target. Perhaps shoot at a square and just frame an outside corner of the target with the reticle. If you can just touch that corner each time you just might see a smaller group come out of it. Shooting at a .25MOA target with a reticle that covers 3MOA isn't going to be very productive.

Last edited by rinodods; 02-16-2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: edit
Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

Rhilnodods is correct - higher magnification generally shoots better groups, and if the reticule covers your aiming point, it will not be spot on. How does it shoot since you put the VXIII 3.5-10 back on? Could there have been some looseness in your mount or rings? What distance you shooting at? I would try 100 yds. How is your bench set up? Good front rest? how about rear bag? Are you holding consistently each shot? How is your reloading technique?

If all else fails, return it to Leupold for a free check up.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

I don't think 20X is the entire solution. Maybe the perception of a finer crosshair, because of the power is what helps in the placement. Understanding your sights, and knowing the point you want to send your projectile to, can over come this.

My eyes don't necessarily see the black on the 600yd target, but I can make out where the target is, and put my bullet in the center. (iron sights)
Old 02-16-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Rhilnodods is correct - higher magnification generally shoots better groups, and if the reticule covers your aiming point, it will not be spot on. How does it shoot since you put the VXIII 3.5-10 back on? Could there have been some looseness in your mount or rings? What distance you shooting at? I would try 100 yds. How is your bench set up? Good front rest? how about rear bag? Are you holding consistently each shot? How is your reloading technique?

If all else fails, return it to Leupold for a free check up.
It still shoots the same at around 1moa with the 3.5-10 back on. I've checked the mounts and are all secure. Testing has been done at 100yds so far, off a Sinclair front rest and bunny ear rear bag. Reloads have been tried from two diffferent relaoders, bith using redding match dies and match components. Lots of time spent on prep, so hopefully not the problem. It achieved 1/2 MOA with these loads and the 6.5-20 scope.

I think that it may be the shot follow through..... The gun is quite lively to shoot off the bench probably due to it being quite light (7.5 lbs all up) I think if it weighted 10lbs it would be a lot easier to shoot good groups. Trouble is, here in NZ we walk a long way and climb som damn big hills so that's not really an option at the moment.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

check your rifle with another scope of a known reliability and see if the groups are the same.

That will tell you if you have a problem with your scope and your shooting it.

BH
Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Make sure that the scope does not have parallax.

This could make the POI change.

Place the rifle on sand bags or a good rest and aim at the center of the target.

Without touching the rifle look through the scope and move your head up and down
(Bobble you head) and watch the Point of aim on the target. If it moves, you have Parallax
and it must be adjusted out to get a consistant impact.

Just another thing to try without spending money.

J E CUSTOM