Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

My Field Test of The G7-BR2 Rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Bronze Member

Re: My Field Test of The G7-BR2 Rangefinder

Thanks for making my mind up Jeff.PLRF05 here I come.

Rob
Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

WTG Jeff ... excellent job as always!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 AM

Great write up. I am just took delivery of my Vectronix Terrapin and very happy with that. A buddy has a PLRF10 and we get very the same distances side by side. The only difference is processor speed which the PLRF10 definitely has a faster processor but certainly no need to spend the extra money on the PLRF10.

I also have the Leica 1600 and have been happy with that but pushing the limit on rocks at 1600+ yards has been difficult at times to get the Leica to give me accurate readings.

If was shooting a rifle that was only a 1000 to 1600 yard rifle i would have never purchased Terrapin. However, I have 3 rifles capable of being lethal*** past 2,000 yards, and determined that I should have a range finder that can give you accurate readings for the stated purpose.

*** Lethal in my definition as follows; Rocks, Rock Chucks, Coyotes, Crows and Al Qaeda - anything you don't have to go check for a blood trail and then have to track, gut and pack. I would feel extremely bad making an incorrect wind call on an Big Game animal and not being able to recover. "Leave no Elk behind" is my motto!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

Great write up friend,
I shoot one of those 1000-1600 yard rifles, and for my use it has been just the ticket. The ballistic corrections are way faster than my old methods. I also live and shoot in the mountains of western Colorado, and there is not much that is flat. I'll see how it works this winter shooting prairie dogs in the flat lands of eastern Utah.
I had compared this unit to the Vectronix Terrapin, but felt the G7 would be much faster for my use. That it certainly has been.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:19 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
Great write up friend,
I shoot one of those 1000-1600 yard rifles, and for my use it has been just the ticket. The ballistic corrections are way faster than my old methods. I also live and shoot in the mountains of western Colorado, and there is not much that is flat. I'll see how it works this winter shooting prairie dogs in the flat lands of eastern Utah.
I had compared this unit to the Vectronix Terrapin, but felt the G7 would be much faster for my use. That it certainly has been.
And that is the big difference. Between then two
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Great evaluation Jeff! I have the G7 which I have used along side of my Geovids which in most cases gives me a back up reading since I'm almost always using my binoculars in concert for my 1000 yard max shooting distance when hunting. Readings are almost always the same with the exception of the tougher ranging situations that you describe. In those cases I look for a distance match between the two readings to confirm that my range is accurate. So far the ballistics calculator in the G7 gives identical readings to my program, including corrections for angled shots which is a great feature of the G7. I will soon be extending my range with a 338 I'm working on, and considering the Vectronix. The nice thing about the G7 is that the programable near and far ranging enables the unit to ignore close range interferences like brush or small branches that I sometimes encounter while deer hunting that my Geovids can't handle. Does the Vectronix have this kind of capability?

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 08-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
The nice thing about the G7 is that the programable near and far ranging enables the unit to ignore close range interferences like brush or small branches that I sometimes encounter while deer hunting that my Geovids can't handle. Does the Vectronix have this kind of capability?
My opinion the small beams don't need it. MY Vectronix will sneak through brush, rain, snow and what ever. It has precise cross hairs for pin point aim and flat gets it done with ot switching modes.

Jeff