Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Muzzle Brakes and Scopes???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 PM

Muzzle Brakes and Scopes???

Ok, so I just sent a new build to Eabco to have the JP Howitzer brake installed. This is the one I'm talking about.
JP Howitzer Brake Blue Installed
I am fully aware of the problems associated with scopes on Braked rifles and why they happen. With that said, do any of you guys have direct experience with scopes that have been long lived on braked rifles. I have three scopes that are up for grabs for this build, a Leupold 2-7 VXII, a 4-14 VXIII, and a Mueller Eraticator 8-25. I would really like to put the Mueller on this one but I'm not sure how she would hold up to the brake. The gun is a .308 so it doesn't have much kick to begin with but the reverse recoil associated with the brake is what I'm worried about. I have seen braked rifles on quite a few of the threads here and I was wondering what kind of scopes you guys have had good luck with.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: Muzzle Brakes and Scopes???

I dont think you have anything to worry about! Just about every gun I have is braked and I've never had a scope go bad, mine have leupolds...
Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Its not the recoil that is harmful to scopes, its the deceleration forces or negative G forces caused by the muzzle brake.

A muzzle brakes effectiveness is determined by a few things:
1. Muzzle gas pressure
2. Muzzle gas Volume
3. Surface area in the brake that muzzle gas pushes against

In your case, the 308 has very little muzzle pressure or gas volume so it will not make any brake work extremely well at reducing felt recoil. The brake you are using is about as aggressive as you can get so that will help you but still, the effects will not be dramatic as it would be with say a 300 RUM with the same brake.

As to the scopes, what makes a scope suitable for a muzzle braked rifle is if it has lense supports on both sides of its lenses for recoil energy support and also for deceleration forces support. Other things also come into play, such as scope height over the bore(the higher the scope the more its stressed) and the weight of the scope(the heavier the scope, the more its stressed).

Personally, I would say that your chambering will not harm any of these scopes. If you were using a 300 RUM, I would say only use the VXIII but with the 308 you should not have any trouble with any of them.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post

In your case, the 308 has very little muzzle pressure or gas volume so it will not make any brake work extremely well at reducing felt recoil. .
Have to disagree with you there. The reason I chose this brake is because my shooting partner has one on his .308 and it reduces the recoil to that of a .22mag . The gun stays still when fired, no real recoil to deal with.

For what its worth, I'm nor interested in recoil reduction. Its the fact that you can see your own bullet strikes that I like. I have been practicing a lot with shooting offhand. My main targets are 4 inch clays at 200 yards. I don't hit them every time offhand but I'm getting better. Spotting my strikes was a big help when I used his gun since it had virtually no recoil.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md 25v View Post
Ok, so I just sent a new build to Eabco to have the JP Howitzer brake installed. This is the one I'm talking about.
JP Howitzer Brake Blue Installed
I am fully aware of the problems associated with scopes on Braked rifles and why they happen. With that said, do any of you guys have direct experience with scopes that have been long lived on braked rifles. I have three scopes that are up for grabs for this build, a Leupold 2-7 VXII, a 4-14 VXIII, and a Mueller Eraticator 8-25. I would really like to put the Mueller on this one but I'm not sure how she would hold up to the brake. The gun is a .308 so it doesn't have much kick to begin with but the reverse recoil associated with the brake is what I'm worried about. I have seen braked rifles on quite a few of the threads here and I was wondering what kind of scopes you guys have had good luck with.

I have a JP on a 300win mag and have put maybe 300 thur it with no scope problems at all. the scope is a nikon 5.5x16.5x44 UCC with the BDC.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:17 PM

Thanks, thats just what I wanted to hear. How do you like the JP on your Win-Mag?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

My old man just took his JP off and had a muscle brake from centershot rifles put on, the new brake has A LOT less muzzle rize and a lot less rearward recoil. There are better/more efficient brakes...