Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Mounting help.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
Mounting help.

I have always mounted my scopes to my rifles by leveling the action and then using a plumb bob to get the crosshair lined up. Has always worked for me. I just got a Vortex PST and want to be able to dial shots with it. I mounted it per Vortex instructions, level the action and then level the scope by putting a bubble on the turret cap. The problem is, when I level the scope like this the cross hairs are canted to the left significantly. When I plumb bob the cross hair, then the turret cap is not level. If I set the cross hair level like I always have, will I have trouble dialing shots since the turret is not aligned?? Is there something wrong with my scope??(brand new) Am I doing something wrong?? Confused and frustrated...someone please give me a hand.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 316
Re: Mounting help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTNMT View Post
I have always mounted my scopes to my rifles by leveling the action and then using a plumb bob to get the crosshair lined up. Has always worked for me. I just got a Vortex PST and want to be able to dial shots with it. I mounted it per Vortex instructions, level the action and then level the scope by putting a bubble on the turret cap. The problem is, when I level the scope like this the cross hairs are canted to the left significantly. When I plumb bob the cross hair, then the turret cap is not level. If I set the cross hair level like I always have, will I have trouble dialing shots since the turret is not aligned?? Is there something wrong with my scope??(brand new) Am I doing something wrong?? Confused and frustrated...someone please give me a hand.
Get one of these:

Straight Shot Segway Reticle Leveler Mark III
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 184
Re: Mounting help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTNMT View Post
I have always mounted my scopes to my rifles by leveling the action and then using a plumb bob to get the crosshair lined up. Has always worked for me. I just got a Vortex PST and want to be able to dial shots with it. I mounted it per Vortex instructions, level the action and then level the scope by putting a bubble on the turret cap. The problem is, when I level the scope like this the cross hairs are canted to the left significantly. When I plumb bob the cross hair, then the turret cap is not level. If I set the cross hair level like I always have, will I have trouble dialing shots since the turret is not aligned?? Is there something wrong with my scope??(brand new) Am I doing something wrong?? Confused and frustrated...someone please give me a hand.
My guess is that the turret cap is not machined to such tight tolerances that it perfectly matches the turret mechanism. Having the action level is not that important. Having the reticle level is. Set the scope and action close to the same plane. Get a scope level that will be permanently mounted to the scope. Set up a level at the range and set the reticle and scope level to that. Having the reticle level to the earth is much more important than having the action and the scope on the same plane.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
Re: Mounting help.

That's what I thought. What about when I dial up 5,10 or 20 MOA?? Will it still be in alignment or do I need to test it??
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 184
Re: Mounting help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTNMT View Post
That's what I thought. What about when I dial up 5,10 or 20 MOA?? Will it still be in alignment or do I need to test it??
I don't have the data to prove it but from my understanding and (somewhat limited) experience to 1000 yards, a slight cant in the scope won't make a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ventura CA
Posts: 787
I agree with bill113 about needing to level the scope, not the action. I do a lot of scope installations because I run scope clinics at two local shooting ranges every month.

It is not uncommon for me to see reticles misaligned to the turret axis by up to three degrees. In this case where you're dialing elevation, the elevation turret axis must be plumb. If you're holding off elevation using a BDC or milling reticle, then the vertical reticle line should be plumb.

For long range shots you absolutely need a properly aligned anti-cant indicator to hold the scope level during the shot.

For 1,000 yd shots even a small cant of 2 degrees can produce a significant aiming error. I recommend reducing the alignment error below 1 degree. To do that, you need levels that are accurate to within 0.5 degree.

Injection molded plastic leveling tools with snap-in spirit levels or sloppy moving parts are not accurate enough for long range. I typically see errors of about 2 degrees. The Wheeler molded plastic levels can be lapped to make them more accurate. The Segway molded plastic tool cannot be made more accurate because the sliding bar flexes and the fit in the plastic part gets looser with time, causing the bar to be out of alignment with the spirit level.

Another windage aiming error can occur in long range shots when 1) the vertical turret axis is not aligned with the center of the rifle bore, and 2) the rifle is zeroed at short range, like 100 yds, and then the elevation is adjusted for a long range shot. If the vertical turret axis is not aligned with the bore, then the windage error will increase as the elevation is increased. This error can also occur when holding off elevation. It can be eliminated by properly aligning the scope with the bore.

To remove this range-dependent error, you need either the EXD tool, or the RingTrue Reticle Alignment Tool that HighPowerOptics sells. The spirit level on the RingTrue tool is guaranteed accurate to within +/- 0.5 degree, so you don't need any other spirit levels.
http://www.highpoweroptics.com/ringt...l-p-16566.html
__________________

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: West Central, Idaho
Posts: 417
Re: Mounting help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
I agree with bill113 about needing to level the scope, not the action. I do a lot of scope installations because I run scope clinics at two local shooting ranges every month.

It is not uncommon for me to see reticles misaligned to the turret axis by up to three degrees. In this case where you're dialing elevation, the elevation turret axis must be plumb. If you're holding off elevation using a BDC or milling reticle, then the vertical reticle line should be plumb.

For long range shots you absolutely need a properly aligned anti-cant indicator to hold the scope level during the shot.

For 1,000 yd shots even a small cant of 2 degrees can produce a significant aiming error. I recommend reducing the alignment error below 1 degree. To do that, you need levels that are accurate to within 0.5 degree.

Injection molded plastic leveling tools with snap-in spirit levels or sloppy moving parts are not accurate enough for long range. I typically see errors of about 2 degrees. The Wheeler molded plastic levels can be lapped to make them more accurate. The Segway molded plastic tool cannot be made more accurate because the sliding bar flexes and the fit in the plastic part gets looser with time, causing the bar to be out of alignment with the spirit level.

Another windage aiming error can occur in long range shots when 1) the vertical turret axis is not aligned with the center of the rifle bore, and 2) the rifle is zeroed at short range, like 100 yds, and then the elevation is adjusted for a long range shot. If the vertical turret axis is not aligned with the bore, then the windage error will increase as the elevation is increased. This error can also occur when holding off elevation. It can be eliminated by properly aligning the scope with the bore.

To remove this range-dependent error, you need either the EXD tool, or the RingTrue Reticle Alignment Tool that HighPowerOptics sells. The spirit level on the RingTrue tool is guaranteed accurate to within +/- 0.5 degree, so you don't need any other spirit levels.
RingTrue reticle alignment tool

Do you have a video of the use of the reticle alignment tool being used? I can't understand a few things about it. I've read the instructions etc. and it can't seem to get it.
Do you level the rifle first, then put the ringtrue on and hold it level, then index the reticle to that? Then I see the level being used on the turret?
Do you notice any variants due to the inside bore being different from the outside of the barrel? Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do You Think Slingshots Should Be Legalized For Hunting Brown Bear?
Yes - 47.00%
886 Votes
No - 53.00%
999 Votes
Total Votes: 1,885
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC