Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

most reliable big game riflescope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
About to send my IOR 3-18 back for the second time. Went bad with less then 20 rounds (went blurry and wouldn't focus) and the second one has less then 20 rounds and has a large piece of debris on the inside. It(they) has tracked perfectly, the FFP MP8(A-5) reticle is awesome and the glass so much better then Leupold MK4's I've used.
Bravo, was that scope from the first batch of Sniper's Hide special order IOR 3-18s?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
the second one has less then 20 rounds and has a large piece of debris on the inside.
Crap, you scared me! The first time I read that I thought you had broken a second one. But it's only a piece of debris? Not that the debris is OK or anything but it's a whole different level than the dramatic "hunt ender" type failure the early production ones were having. Hopefully those problems are behind us.

Did you try the USO "pound it on a phonebook" solution? I noticed a little spec on my Falcon that showed up after shooting it. It's not bad enough to bother me enough to want to send it back but I was thinking of giving this a try for the hell of it. It sounds like your debris is bigger though, maybe it won't work.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

I had a black speck show up in one of my IOR 3-18x's after shooting a black bear. The next time I shot the rifle the black speck disappeared and hasn't returned again since. I'm not sure where they come from (I've been told it has something to do with etching the reticle onto one of the lenses) but these small black specs can disappear as quickly as they appear. Knocking the scope with a rubber mallet or hitting it on a phone book might dislodge the particle from the lens and you may never see it again. Or like happened with me, the next time you shoot the rifle the spec may fall off the lens and hang onto the sidewall of the scope where it will never be an issue.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, it's not uncommon, especially for FFP scopes. USO even put it in their FAQ:

Quote:
My reticle appears to have dust on it, what is this?

The bodies of our scopes are machined with light break ups and then coated with Type III hard anodizing to reduce the unwanted stray light. Sometimes a small particle become loose and is attracted to the static properties of the glass reticle in the front focal plane. Since the reticle is under extreme magnification the dust particle appear to be very large. Most cases the particle will fall off of the reticle and stick to the grease that is on the inside of the tube. Sometimes it is necessary to help the duct along a bit. This can be done by shooting the rifle, taking a drive down a dirt road with the rifle, tapping the scope with a rubber mallet or anything that will give it a jar.
That said, if it's big on Marc's scope and he can't get it off it's certainly reasonable to want it fixed.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

2nd round of scopes.
I shot it a few times, all was good.
I shot it a few times, dang it a large piece of debris
I put it up and called Scott and left a message...he is a busy man and I must have fell through the cracks, no return call-no biggie, like I said I know he is a busy man. I haven't called back in the last week or so, I too am busy.
I wanted to go shoot and it was gone, awesome-don't bother Scott over nothing.
I took it out again to see if it was there and voila! It's there again. I'll just try to smack it on something to see if it goes away again.
I see that debris and think "You piece of crap!", I just get frustrated easily. I really like it and think it has all the features a scope should have.
But then again I did send my Super Sniper back to be replaced because of debris stuck on my reticle.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:06 PM

If you are tired of scopes letting you down choose any nightforce scope that you feel will work for you. The nightforce nxs is rugged and in my opinion the finest scope you can buy. Suck it up and pay the price. You will only cry once when you pay for it. The first one is very hard to buy but after that first one they get a lot easier. I have tried all the scopes over the years and used to be Leupold fan but not anymore. I also had some of the Leupold let me down. I am trying to slowly change to all nightforce scopes. I am an avid varmint hunter and have been hard at it for over 30 years.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

I firmly believe there are scopes out there with better glass than Nightforce. Like USO and Schmidt & Bender from every account I've ever read. If money weren't an issue, I would own a few of those. I think even IOR has better resolution than Nightforce, and I do happen to own a couple of those. But Nightforce makes a very high quality scope for tactical and long range use by just about every account I've read about them. Rugged, good tracking, reliable, nice reticle selection, good power range, and good resolution.

I'd have a hard time saying they're the best, because I place a premium on resolution, and they aren't the best in that regard, in my opinion. But considering all the features that are important in a long range scope, I don't think a person could go wrong spending their money on a Nightforce either. Too many owners speak highly of them for them to be anything other than a great scope for the money.