Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

More leupold turret questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Bronze Member

More leupold turret questions

I have a VXIII 3.5-10X40
The leupold custom shop turret options for this are standard target which are 1/4 with dust covers or M1 Mark 4 type that are exposed and a little more larger than the standard.

I aim to mount this scope on a fairly lightweight rifle (rem model 7 magnum) that I will use mostly in open country but also in forrest on the odd occasion so don't want anything too bulky so I am leaning towards the standard target, or is the M1 Mark 4 type a better option?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Silver Member

the standards will work fine but do come with that large turret cap. you can leave the cap off and make your adjustments when needed. on the other hand it would probably be just as easy to have an M1 turret put on which is designed to be exposed all the time. My buddy just had this done to his 4.5x14 x50LR. He had a M1 elevation turret installed and a TMR reticle for around $250. I believe the turret alone is about $60.

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Had the custom shop put M1 turret’s on a VXIII 3.5-10x40. The scope is on a rifle that I use when backpacking or hiking. I prefer to hand carry a rifle and am right handed. The windage turret hits right at my wrist and that really sucks. On a dedicated long range rifle it would not matter but if you do a lot of hiking especially with a backpack on and hand carry the rifle I would for-go the windage turret. Other than that small problem they are good to go. I think they both were $129.00 which included postage one way.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 06-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

I would go for the M1's if it were me with out question