Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

MOA vs MIL. In scope ajustments?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: MOA vs MIL. In scope ajustments?

A minute of angle is 1/60 of one degree. I have no idea when or how that term originated. Nineth grade geometry is where I learned about it, for the first time and that was a long time ago. Or was it tenth grade geometry?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maylor View Post
Now thats coollight bulb. Where can I find these kind of math? That is a hugh differance. Idont understand, or how they came up with minute as a math turm? Can someone rec. a book or mag that can explain these terms in use? Thanks Bill Maylor.
Bill, do a search on this site and you will find just about anything you want. If you don't, I know there's a bunch of folks here including my self that are more than willing to share what little they know. As jwp475 said it, "none of us were born knowing anything". Your remind me of my self when I was much younger, boy did I want to learn, but I did not have what we have today; the internet and great sites like LongRangeHunting.com

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 08-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Eaglet I found an easier way to deal with the .047". Say your target is 18" and you get a reading of 2 moa. 18 divided by 2=900 yards. Now subtract 5 yards for every 100 yards, in this case 9x5 =40. So you say 900-40=860 yards. If you say
17.19198 divided by 2 you come up with 859.599 yards. Thats pretty close huh? This is what I like about the moa system, I can do all the math in my head and for me 3.6 inches is just hard to deal with.

David
Old 08-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgreene View Post
Eaglet I found an easier way to deal with the .047". Say your target is 18" and you get a reading of 2 moa. 18 divided by 2=900 yards. Now subtract 5 yards for every 100 yards, in this case 9x5 =40. So you say 900-40=860 yards. If you say
17.19198 divided by 2 you come up with 859.599 yards. Thats pretty close huh? This is what I like about the moa system, I can do all the math in my head and for me 3.6 inches is just hard to deal with.
David
David, that's definately much closer. 900-45 = 855 yards. to 860 that's only 5 yards. With a flat shooting rifle it would not be an issue. Just better to use a good rangefinder. ;)

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Eaglet, dmgreene, Thanks for the range math. I will try my hand next week with this math. I will bring a calculator to ck myself. I still have not recieved my NF for the 300RUM, but will try it with my 22-250. Fay just went over my head:confused:. The weather will calm down in a few days. I am not ready for wind or spin drift yeat. This is realy cool stuff, thanks guys. Bill Maylor
Old 08-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Bill, long-range shooting is a kick, and u've come to the right place for info., no doubt. The best way to understand reticle-rangefinding is to go right to the most basic formula. This way it becomes aparent that it can be used with any reticle (even archery sight pins if 1 wanted to), and u can also use it to calculate tgt. size, and easily see it's limitations as well. Here's the formula in it's most basic form (inches to yds.)--

tgt. size x range of reticle subtension measurement (usually 100 yds.) / reticle subtension (inches) / quantitity of gap tgt. occupies (decimal equivalent) = range (yds.)

...looks complicated but super-easy to apply. Here's the equation for an 18" deer that occupies 2.4 mils--

18 x 100 / 3.6 / 2.4 = 208

Recently at a long-range shoot one of the guys wanted to know how big the rectangular 1000 yd. tgt. was. We were using a mil-dot reticle that measured 2.1 inch per hundred yds. between dots at a higher power than what the mil was cald. for. The tgt. occupied 0.9 mils. Here's the equation making the tgt. size the unknown--

X" x 100 / 2.1 / 0.9 = 1000

X=18.9" when we went downrange and measured it it was 19.2". It just amazes me whenever i use this stuff just what can be accomplished with it. Now if we'd have known the tgt. size was 19.2" we would have got this range using the reticle if we didn't know it--

19.2 x 100 / 2.1 / 0.9 = 1016 yds.

Later a doe antelope ran by us and i thought to attempt to range it thru the reticle. It looked like it should be 1.8 mils just loping along, and it lasered at 362 yds. Using 14" as an "avg. back to brisket here it is--

14 x 100 / 2.1 / 1.8 = 370

Usually we can easily get within 3% of lasered with most reticles on hard tgts.

Nice thing about this form of the equation is that if u're after 1 tgt. size u can make the 1st 3 variables a factor. so for an antelope doe-- 14 x 100 / 2.1 = 667 this makes it quicker and easier to calculate.

I often put the subtensions of my reticles in the turret covers on a sticker just in case i need them.

Once u play around with the equation some it's very easy to memorize it, and even if u invert the bottom 2 divisors u'll still get the same range. This stuff is fun to play with, and is especially useful with simple plex reticles.

Last edited by sscoyote; 08-23-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Eaglet, 9x5 does equal 45light bulb, not 40:confused: I've been going a little stir crazy today, been pacing around the house because of Faye(the storm, not my wife). It has rained all day here. I agree with you on using a range finder instead of using the reticle also, I only use a reticle for ranging on non living targets. For reticle ranging to work you have to know the exact size of the target. Animals are constantly moving and standing at awkward angles which also makes it hard to use at extended distances.

David