Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

MOA setup help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

MOA setup help

ok i think the super sniper scope i have is a 1/4 moa per click. if i understand this correctly,that is 1/4" @ 100yrds per click,1 moa (4 clicks) @100yrds is 1". 1 moa compounds per 100yrds, 2"@200, 3"@300 and so on, correct?so if my walmart ammo drops apx. 48" @ 600 yrds i would crank in 8 moa ccw on my elevation for a first shot? if not please explain or guide me to "scope dope for idiots"
Old 02-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: MOA setup help

sounds like you have it
Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Basically, in a nut shell.........exactly!

one thing you might discover as you shoot more and at further distance, is that your scope may not be exactly precisely 1/4 minute clicks. Only testing will say for sure.

One other thing (not to complicate things, but it's reality), if your scope moves the poi 1/4 inch per click it will take 8 "minutes". However, if your scope moves poi 1/4 MOA per click it will take 7.6 minutes (7.5 is as close as we can get with 1/4 moa corrections).

We have to subtract 5% if it's a true moa scope, because a true MOA is 5% bigger at 100 yds than an inch.........it's 1.0472 inches to be more precise, but 5% is easier to deal with.

Basically, that's the difference between IPHY (shooters moa) and true Angular MOA..........5%. Using IPHY is quicker and easier and generally gets us close enough untill we start dialing alot of clicks or the distance gets pretty far.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Basically, in a nut shell.........exactly!

one thing you might discover as you shoot more and at further distance, is that your scope may not be exactly precisely 1/4 minute clicks. Only testing will say for sure.

One other thing (not to complicate things, but it's reality), if your scope moves the poi 1/4 inch per click it will take 8 "minutes". However, if your scope moves poi 1/4 MOA per click it will take 7.6 minutes (7.5 is as close as we can get with 1/4 moa corrections).

We have to subtract 5% if it's a true moa scope, because a true MOA is 5% bigger at 100 yds than an inch.........it's 1.0472 inches to be more precise, but 5% is easier to deal with.

Basically, that's the difference between IPHY (shooters moa) and true Angular MOA..........5%. Using IPHY is quicker and easier and generally gets us close enough untill we start dialing alot of clicks or the distance gets pretty far.
Wooooooooo, slow down, theres to many 3 and 4 letter word flying around that i dont know what they mean. Just want to get the jist of it first then i'll worry about shooting off gnats nuts a little later.thanks for all the help guys.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

What SBruce is saying is good info to keep in mind. None of the formulas and numbers matter much until you figure out how much each click of YOUR turret actually moves your reticle. Don't buy into the lie that turrets adjust per their rated specs. It is not true very often. To be clear, it may not make a difference at closer ranges but as you begin to move further out you will need to know your exact particular click adjustments.

So:

1 inch at 100 yards and .25 of an inch per click is close enough and easy to remember when you are getting started. This is considered IPHY (inches per hundred yards)

True MOA is 1.047 inches which equates to .26 inches per click.

Again, your scope may be one of these or even something slightly different like .24 or .27 per click. This is why LR shooters must test their click adjustments.

Scot E.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Gold Member

Simple terms is if your shooting at ranges under 600yds then what your doing will work fine. If you plan on shooting further you better read what these guys are telling you and learn to apply it. Everything starts to matter a whole lot more beyond 600. A simple way to remember how to calculate your drops in inches into click adjustments in MOA on your scope is 48"/6=8MOA. So when you range your target at 600 it becomes 6 or a range of 531yds becomes 5.31. Inches divided by range = MOA
Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys I am grate full for all of the help and and info. I know I need to put some rounds down field to get some true numbers I just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track in my thinking.this is an awesome place endless info.