Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

MOA reticles, anyone use them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: MOA reticles, anyone use them?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadPilot View Post
While I understand what you're saying with the 1" targets, the target really is irrelevant if your knobs match your reticle. It's really not an advantage for either MIL or MOA systems. Measure the difference between POA and POI with your reticle and turn the knobs accordingly. The target could be polka dots and you could still get an angular measurement and correct your POA.
And I know what you're sayiing too.... but... it's real convenient to look at a 1" gird target @ 400 yds and instantly know 3.6 right and 5.2 low (give or take a tenth) and go... click, click, click, click and click, click, click, click click..

There are advantages to both systems, I just like MOA, and am in agreemant to match the reticle with the turret.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Okey, i will admit im stupid. i currently have 3 lupys 4.5-14 1 in varm. 2 in b&c i find very easy. Am considering a nf maybe soon in 5.5 -22. I already have a leica 1200 randefinder and happy using it. What would be the best reticle for me say elk and deer hunting NRP-1 or the 2 and why. Thanks,
mike
Old 11-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
Okey, i will admit im stupid. i currently have 3 lupys 4.5-14 1 in varm. 2 in b&c i find very easy. Am considering a nf maybe soon in 5.5 -22. I already have a leica 1200 randefinder and happy using it. What would be the best reticle for me say elk and deer hunting NRP-1 or the 2 and why. Thanks,
mike
There are a few threads on this. Do a search on NPR1 and/or NPR2 and you'll find some.

I like the NPR2 because it's not as busy as the NPR1.

Mark
Old 11-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

I like the NPR2 that I use for Elk hunting.
Its pretty easy to count by two!
Also depending on your bullet the NPR2 has some great hold points.

Cam
Old 11-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

I have been saving to buy a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 with the NPR1 reticle.

One reason I like this scope/reticle is when spotting you are able to give MOA correctioins very quickly to the shooter who can then adjust with clicks, adjust the lead or hold over (and some time hold under) as needed.

I think it speeds up the process and is simpler for me than other methods.

Rest easy, sleep well my brothers.
Know the line has held, your job is done.
Rest easy, sleep well.
Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held.
Peace, peace, and farewell... --Unknown--

Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

I have the NP-R1 and love it. I carry a Range card in my pocket, one which I first printed from ballistics software and then went to the range and confirmed and adjusted for actual results. If I have the time I dial up or if I am in a hurry I count up the dashes.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Bronze Member

I have a quick question. All my scopes have fixed reticles. I can zoom in, but the reticles stay the same. I've been reading about the NP-R2 and it says the reticles change with the magnification. For some reason, I can't get me head around how it works. Is the simple answer: The reticle changes in size to maintain each line as 1 or 2MOA, no matter the distance?

Also, does NP-R1 do the same thing?