Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

MOA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: MOA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
The drop chart for my bullet is 73" at 600 yards and 286" at 1,000 yds. My scope has 65 MOA of adjustment. Does this mean that I can use a flat Picatinney rail?
joseph
If when mounting the scope on normal flat bases all work as intended, then this is how you play ball:

First, center the scope turrets dead center for vertical and horizontal adjustments, that means it would only leave you about 32.5 moa of upward adjustment. You do the same with the windage adjustments. If the drilled holes on the action are fairly strait, you should not be too far from the center of the target at 100 yards.

Depending on your scope height and muzzle velocity, you would loose typically 4 moa to bring the impact point to center of target. That means you would have 32.5 - 4 = 28.5 MOA left of vertical adjustment.

Now, 286 inches at 1000 yards means (286/1.047)/10=27.32 MOA.

You need 27.32 MOA to be on target, and you have 28.5 MOA of vertical adjustment left... So it looks like you might; but then again depending on how it goes when mounting the scope your might not, as LRSickle stated.

Just follow LRSickle's advice, get a 20 MOA picatinny rail and you'll be for sure good from zero to way over 1000 yards.

Good Luck!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!

Last edited by Eaglet; 03-27-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Joseph

Keep in mind that the closer to the top of your verticle adjustment range you get the less room you have for windage adjustment. So even if you can get to 1000 yds with a flat base you will have very little range to adjust for the wind.

Chris
Old 03-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How many inches is 65 MOA?

joseph

65 MOA at 100 yards is 68.068 inches

1 MOA is 1/60 of 1 degree of angle

Eaglet explained it correctly.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Get a ramp just so can keep your reticle closer to the middle of your adjustment.
What angle ramp would I need? I am planning on getting Kenton Industries to make me new turrets calibrated to my drop chart in yards to coordinate with my laser range finder.

joseph

PS: Thanks to everyone for explaining about MOA.[/QUOTE]

Can someone answer this question for me? What degree Picatinney rail should I get? I am shooting a 6mm Norma BR. with Berger 105 gr. VLSs with a 26" barrel with about 2900 fps.

joseph
Old 03-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
What angle ramp would I need? I am planning on getting Kenton Industries to make me new turrets calibrated to my drop chart in yards to coordinate with my laser range finder.

joseph

PS: Thanks to everyone for explaining about MOA.
Can someone answer this question for me? What degree Picatinney rail should I get? I am shooting a 6mm Norma BR. with Berger 105 gr. VLSs with a 26" barrel with about 2900 fps.

joseph[/QUOTE]

After zeroing, subtract the available adjustment in the scope from the amount of adjustment needed for the yardage you want to shoot at. If you wind up with a negative number you have enough but may want to put a sloped base on anyway to keep away from the extreme end of the scopes adjustment. Available adjustment is what's left after you zero the rifle not the total adjustment in the scope.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

"Just follow LRSickle's advice, get a 20 MOA picatinny rail and you'll be for sure good from zero to way over 1000 yards". "QUOTE"

Thanks guys I missed this back up in the other replies. A 20 MOA Picatinney rail it will be.

"Aim small miss small",

joseph