Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Is it a mistake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Bronze Member

Is it a mistake

Hi shooters, Tomorrow I will be ordering a Bushnell 4200, 6x24 Elite. Now, most of my shooting will be at paper but someday I was hoping to do some PD hunting and maybe some other critters. I have always wanted a scope with the mill dot system and thats what Im leaning towards at this time. Am I making a mistake in getting this scope if it will be used mostly for paper punching? Will I have enough of the center cross hairs to properly address a 3/4" dot? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Thanks for looking. Or should I just get the Multi X ret.

[ 09-06-2004: Message edited by: macv ]
Old 09-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Is it a mistake

I got my first mil dot scope last year and have it on a 6.5x284 it's one of the leupold LR 30mm models still trying to get use to it. For paper shooting I like the dot with fch. One good thing with the leupold scope is can always change reticle with the factory or Premier. Well good luck.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

I am sure I will have many people disagree
with me but I have proven it to myself and
other's that it is better to make a drop
chart and click your scope in than any fancy
reticle. The military uses MIL-DOT reticles
because they are faster to use,but if you have the time and a ballistic program it is
much more accurate to dial your scope in for
the range provided your scope is of sufficent
quality to return to 0
B
Old 09-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Brian B,

Not sure if I'm confused by your statement or you're confused.

Special forces operators and scout snipers in the military don't use mildots as hold overs. They practice countless hours and are damn good at using them for what they were designed for which is range estimation. Once they have the range they dial into that distance. The marine corp uses the Unertl 10X which has a BDC calibrated to the load they are shooting.

I think I know what you're saying,

If you're buying a scope with a mil-dot for paper punching. I wouldn't waist money on a mil-dot. Buy a reticle that will suit and meet your shooting requirements.

Mil-dots are a very simple method of range finding once your understand the basic formulas. But they are something you really have to practice at to get good.

Just my $0.02 worth

[ 09-06-2004: Message edited by: Jeff In TX ]

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Bronze Member

Hi all, well I did it. ordered the 4200 Elite today and did opted for the mil dot. When I get it I will take it to the range and look through it and see if it will suit my needs. If not, I'll send it back and get the duplex ret. I guess this is the only way to really check it out. What I don't understand is why did I pay 100.00 less, than some other stores are selling theirs for, I sure hope that a 4200 Elite at store "A" is the same scope as it is at store "B". Not that I am complaining about it, just wondering. Why do you think that is. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Macv,

Congrats on the scope. When you get, set your target up at exactly 100 yards. Got to pretty close to exact.

On you target use the blue painters masking tape and make an "L" with the tape exactly 3.6 inches verticle and 3.6" horizontal.

3.6" equals 1 mil at 100 yards.

Use your zoom ring and dial it in until the "L" covers 1 full mil-dot top to bottom and left to right. Mark your power ring with that setting.

Now your set and ready to go. If you want the formula for using the mil-dot for range finding, let us know and we'll be glad to give it to you.

Best of luck with your new scope. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-07-2004: Message edited by: Jeff In TX ]

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 09-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Bronze Member

Jeff, yes ,I would like to have your formula. The only thing that I have at present is the book called The Ultimate Sniper which explains the mil dot system. It is not too difficult to understand but if your system is easier, let's go for it. And thanks for what you have already told me about setting it up. The scope arrives on Mon. and I can't wait to get it. I have to be out of town starting tomorrow and won't be home until Mon. when it is due. Will be patiently awaiting your Formula. Thank you. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]