Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

misaligned reciever holes for scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: misaligned reciever holes for scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Sorry but if it's a Remington quality problem, why not have them fix it at their cost or replace it.
Absolutely. If it's a new rifle, it would be going back rather than 'band aiding' the issue.

I had a Ruger match target pistol with the same issue (rail mount holes not square with the centerline of the receiver) and I returned it to Strum Ruger and the entire receiver was relpaced at no cost.

When the holes were drilled and tapped it wasn't jigged properly. I would not accept it as first quality and want a refund or new receiver.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 AM

Its a 1998 alaskan wilderness rifle. Im gonna call remington today but I bought the gun for my first elk trip in october and I doubt I would get it back in time if they even offered to fix it. Im not counting on them doing anything since I didnt buy t new. I know now why the gun was sold to me at a good price. if I can get it to shoot straight now I will send it to them when I get back from Colorado.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Your quickest and easiest, and probably cheapest fix is to take it to a competent gunsmith and pay him $50 to re-drill the holes properly.

That's what I'd do.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

You likely have a bad combination of barrel misalignment in the receiver and barrel vibration. This problem is common in production rifles. Possibly the base holes are not correctly drilled in the receiver, but that is less likely. Re-drilling the holes will cause other problems down the road should you replace barrel.

I reread your posts. I guess you meant "Talley", not "galley". I would chuck those rings and go with a windage adjustable "standard" mount for this hunt. Leupold or Burris.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe you should clarify your statement to read... In my opinion in regards to scope mounts.

Because, In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with Talley Mounts and In my opinion, the Burris mounts are not ideal for a heavy recoiling rifle.

That distills down to you offer Burris, not Talley. I understand but you need to be a bit more translucent. Your statement is ambigious as well as misleading.

Furthermore, if you redrill/retap the holes (a competent gunsmith or machine shop can do it), the original holes need to be filled prior to and that entails filling the holes with compatible metal and then ascertaining the true centerline in relationship with the bore of the receiver and barrel centerline and drilling/tapping the newly located holes to remount the rings (whatever brand they are).

All of the above occurs after the receiver is disassembled.

People take Internet comments as gospel when most are statements of opinion, not fact.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re-cut the face...!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Thats what im gonna do Bruce. I dont want to redrill because if its the barrel I will be making a bigger mess. Im gonna use the S&K bases and rings. When I get back ill have the reciever blueprinted and a custom barrel put on. I meant talley rings I hate auto correct.