Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

misaligned reciever holes for scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 PM

misaligned reciever holes for scope

I just bought a 338 win mag awr remington. Got my scope mounted, rings lapped and off to sight it in. Well the gun groups great except for the fact that it shoots 4" right at 100 yds with the windage bottomed out all the way left. Tried another set of rings I had same result. I feel sure its the holes arent square to the barrel. Someone I trust who knows everything about scopes and mounting them says he thinks we can corredt this with a set of S&K rings and bases. I know nothing of these. Anyone ever use these to correct this?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: misaligned reciever holes for scope

I have dealt with this with a few different solutions. What scope are you using? I do not recommend Sheperds scopes, if the bases and rings are not just perfect they will run out of adjustment and ruin the scope. They fail to advertise that there scope has little adjustment and they want them for the most part sighted in externally. Since we are now past the 19th century I do not believe this is a way to build a scope. 2nd send it back to the manufacture and have them diagnose and possibly repair. All manufactures will do this. 3rd you can pay a reputable smith to screw in screws into the screw holes and re drill. 4th move to any brand of base and rings with some external adjustment. As I stated before I do not advocate this. I believe it adds room for movement and takes away from the long range reliability of your rifle. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 PM

The scope does not have a ton of windage but its enough. It is a Swarovski Z5 with galley one piece base and ring. Lapped and bedded.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

The breech of the barrel and the front of the receiver arent in line...i.e. parallel. A tiny bit there and it means a LOT way down stream
Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 PM

I guess the question is my guy says he can shim it out with the S&K's but if the barrel to the reciever isn't square if I sight in the further out I go it will still walk to the right. Am I thinking about this right.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

S&K rings will solve the boresight misalignment problem and are very elegant in appearance. The Skulptured bases are windage adjustable front and rear.

However, S&K rings are very slender and I would be concerned about their durability on a 338 WIn Mag rifle. They cannot be lapped and can scratch your scope tube if you're not experienced with installing the rings. Plus, they take a while to install correctly. If you think you might move that scope between rifles in the future, you may regret that choice of mount.

I recommend you consider Burris Signature rings with the the offset insert kit. They are easy to install and require no lapping. They do not look nearly as nice as S&K rings, however.

With either approach, the rifle may or may not have a point of aim drift with increasing range. To eliminate this problem, use the RingTrue reticle alignment tool (available from HighPowerOptics) and possibly an anti-cant indicator (for long range shots).

What type of mount are you currently using?

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 05-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry but if it's a Remington quality problem, why not have them fix it at their cost or replace it.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.