Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Millet or Super Sniper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Millet or Super Sniper?

Yes, it was on my 300. And I went through another 150 rounds with it this weekend. I cant beleive this thing is taking it. I checked the measurement of my clicks with a speacial target, and they measure .254 per click, not bad huh. I need a better scope for long range hunting but I think I will spend my money right now on a new match barrel, since I seem to have a scope with repeatable clicks that can get me by.

I bought a second one of these scopes so I think I will try to keep a log on here of how it stands up. I shoot about 100 rounds a week through this rifle, so if its gonna break it shouldnt take me long. When it does, I have a spare.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Gold Member

[QUOTE
Cowboy.....
Did you get to open that present yet?
How does it do??
Scott[/QUOTE]

Yes - the wife got the correct order number and it was under the tree. First impression was: very heavy for a straight power - it looks like it was built by somebody like Night Force. Glass quality seems to be acceptable on first impression looking at mine and the neighbors livestock in the pastures at varying distances. Hoped to get it mounted up but realized out of the dozen sets of rings I have in the reloading room I didn't have any 30mm left. That's as far as I have got with it up to now as we have company until the 1st of year and wives have kept us on the straight and Holiday narrow path.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwolf View Post
I am looking to buy a new scope and was set on the Millet LRS-1. Im now thinking of maybe going with an SS 10X scope. My current problem is that I have a couple of cheap scopes that dont track or return to zero properly and am loosing confidence quickly. I want a scope that will hit where it should, prety simple right?
I would like to know that when I dial up 2 MOA my bullet will now be hiting 2 inches higher at 100 yards instead of the way it is now where it may hit 3 or 1 or 6 inches in any direction.
The LRS-1 has all the features I want. The problem is that I am not sure about its reliability. The SS 10X seems to have the reliability I want but I am kind of spoiled by the high power scopes I use now.
Price and dependablity are my number one priorities. I am leaning toward the LRS-1 so if I need to go another rout please try hard, Im stuborn.
You should probably know that it will be on my howa 1500 300 win mag with no muzle break.
The SS line are all mil-spec. Everything is over built. You will not find a scope that tracks better or is more repeatable.

Some simple searches on OpticsTalk.com and SnipersHide.com will reveal all you want to know about Millett's quality.

Here are a couple, there are endless amounts of these if you want to take the time to search.

The Optics Talk Forums - Millett LRS-1 Problems....Uggh...... - Page 1

Millett LRS-1 Took a Dump - Sniper's Hide Forums

SWFA, Inc.
www.SWFA.com
www.Mil-Dot.com
www.OpticsTalk.com
www.SampleList.com
www.swfa-ss.com

SWFA will beat any price
Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Bronze Member

I have read those, however, I have found just as many that say the opposite. That is why I brought out the question. The SS is dependable but dosen't have all the features I'm looking for. The millet has the features but questionable as to weather you will get a good one. In the bad reveiws of the millets you will see that they were either broken when new or within the first 100 rounds. Just wanted to see if any one on here had any expereince.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Bronze Member

Not to 'steal the topic', but I think this question will also help the original poster in his decision.

SWFA,

What is the return rate on the Millet vs. the SS optics?
(if you even keep track of anything like that)

Scott
Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Bronze Member

That last comment wasnt meant to be an argument as I'm actually leaning toward the 20-X SS now. I just dont think I can aford to gamble, and I never turn my scopes off of the highest power unless I have to for ranging.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 PM

The Millett is feature rich and there is not much in its price range with those features. You just can't build a dependable scope with those features for that price. You would be much better off just saving some more money and going with a PST. We have some coming to us now but they are all pre-sold.

We don't monitor and document return rates but I can tell you that Millett is at the top along with BSA and Barska from what I see and what our returns department tells me. Things did get better once Bushnell acquired them in regards to QC but they are still problematic.

SWFA, Inc.
www.SWFA.com
www.Mil-Dot.com
www.OpticsTalk.com
www.SampleList.com
www.swfa-ss.com

SWFA will beat any price