Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Millet or Super Sniper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 02:59 AM
Bronze Member

Millet or Super Sniper?

I am looking to buy a new scope and was set on the Millet LRS-1. Im now thinking of maybe going with an SS 10X scope. My current problem is that I have a couple of cheap scopes that dont track or return to zero properly and am loosing confidence quickly. I want a scope that will hit where it should, prety simple right?
I would like to know that when I dial up 2 MOA my bullet will now be hiting 2 inches higher at 100 yards instead of the way it is now where it may hit 3 or 1 or 6 inches in any direction.
The LRS-1 has all the features I want. The problem is that I am not sure about its reliability. The SS 10X seems to have the reliability I want but I am kind of spoiled by the high power scopes I use now.
Price and dependablity are my number one priorities. I am leaning toward the LRS-1 so if I need to go another rout please try hard, Im stuborn.
You should probably know that it will be on my howa 1500 300 win mag with no muzle break.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Millet or Super Sniper?

Went through the same thought process as you are going through. Can't give you any answers today but I will say that I've got a new SS 10X under the tree. I talked to a lot of people that gave positive reviews on the SS but can't find very many that have experience with the other. I couldn't find anyone that had both and could give a fair comparison. It'll be a while before the weather here in Montana will allow me to ring it out but we do get some pretty decent days now and then. I have a number of Leo, Swaros, Nikon, and a Huskemaw so this isn't the first scope that will get the scrutiny. I am going to put it on a Savage .243 and use it mainly for practice. Keep in touch and let us know what you decide and the results you come up with.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

I have pretty extensive experience with the SuperSniper.

Both have continually tracked spot on.

The 16X didn't pass light at either end of the day and on the shady side of the mountain wasn't worth a squat. For bright day time shooting its great.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:58 AM
Bronze Member

Roy, does that mean that you have the LRS and the SS? If so, wich do you prefer?

I have another scope that was on my pellet gun that I never considered using. After reading some reveiws on it, I took it out and sure enough, it tracks perfectly. Dont laugh, its a $70 center point! I ran that scope all over the paper today trying to mess it up and it wouldnt break. It is a 4-16 that I could use for hunting so now Im realy stuck. Do I go with the big, cool 25X that I hope works, or the fixed 10 that probably will? If I have a fall back I'm more likely to take a gamble.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:06 PM

2 things to look out for with pellet rifle scopes. 1, parallax adjustment, most pellet rifle scopes are built with shorter ranges in mind. 2, durability, a few good rides with winmag recoil might knock the scope silly.

were you shooting it on your winmag the other day?
Old 12-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Bronze Member

If you truly want to knock a scope silly.....mount it on a air rifle. Not talking about a Red Ryder BB gun, mount a brand new Leupold VII 3-9 on a RWS 48....watch what happens after 10 shots.
Just don't tell Leupold it was mounted on a air rifle, unless you need a piece of crap laying in the tool box gathering dust.

Been there done that.....

Cowboy.....
Did you get to open that present yet?
How does it do??

Scott
Old 12-26-2010, 05:23 PM

yes, the forward recoil pulse in an air rifle will destroy a centerfire scope. Just because an air rifle scope is built to handle a big forward pulse doesn't necessarily mean its built to handle the reverse recoil pulse of a centerfire. It might handle the recoil, it might not, I've never tried putting an air rifle scope on a centerfire so i can't say. its just something to consider.