Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Mildot Ranging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Mildot Ranging

Everyone thanks for all the input. Colby sounds like we are having the same problems. I had the same thing happen and thats what got me to thinking. Craig and RUM , I totally agree on non standard size targets out in the field. To bad coyotes and magpies dont have hubcaps around their necks..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I do use them for holdover when shooting at a songdog , so far its working good. Around here a still coyote is either dumb,dead or very lucky........ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] RUM what is the software that shows you clicks and holdover for each dot?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Mildot Ranging

Learning the mil-dot system for rangefinding is a better system than guessing the range, no question, but i wouldn't rely on it for big game though, as mentioned. There's nothing wrong with using it at the scope's highest magnification though. It will be more accurate than ranging at the calibrated magnification. It would roughly be 1.8 inch per hundred yards (2X 9 power= 1/2 the reticle subtension). Oddly i couldn't find the 6-18X with a mil-dot in either the '07, or '06 catalog. Nice thing about the Nikon catalogs is that they give u the exact subtension of the mil-dot at lowest, calibrated, and highest powers.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Nightforce np2rr

I think that is what it is , np something or the other with some 2's and R's in there .

Whatever , I like it , I like it a lot !! Ranged my 4x8 piece of plywood that was at a known distance ( Swaro 8x30 laser ) Plywood on its side , so , 48 inches divided by 4 moa ( marked divisions on scope are 2 moa ) equals 12 , so x 100 .....voila !! 1200 yds . Ok then , lets see , a prarire dog , we'll call the little rodent 12 inches tall ( a really big' un ) .He's taking up 2 moa in my NF set at 22 ( the ranging power ) So ,

12 inches divided by 2 ( moa necessary to bracket him ) equals 6 . Multiply this by 100 and I have my yardage to the little bugger . Daaaanng !! that cant be right cuz I did it .

This will be great tool for my pd forays as the flat country does not lend itself to accurate laser use unles there are vertical components to provide a good retunn read .

Jimmba

Last edited by Jimm; 07-12-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Jimm, according to Leupold's range estimating system, they've calculated the avg. adult pr. dog at 7.3" sitting to work for their VH reticle. Please let us know how well the ranging works for u. I have used the VH reticle to range a buck antelope once at close to 400 yds., and i wasn't too far off really, as i remember. I used a plex reticle in a Burris 4-12X Mini, and successfully ranged a buck antelope @ 725 yds. once (short 10 yards). But by "reverse milling", it can easily be seen how lucky i was at that range, especially with that reticle.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

Me I love the mil-dot and it works great. But you have to take the time to learn it and practice to get good at it.
A couple tools to help:
Mildot Master
ShooterReady
https://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dlrID=511&dept=53

Once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun as well.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Bottom line: Mildots suck for HUNTING. Few shooters use them correctly. And apparently nobody can keep MILS/MOA/INCHES straight.
Not even scope makers..

There are great examples of this posted here.
Example:
A 12" target@ 2MOA...
He used the NF rule of thumb:
12/2*100 = 600yds
I have seen US Optics use this as well(within a week).
They are wrong.

NF is in MOA, so 12/(1.047*2)*100 = 573yds
This is a huge error with a kill zone of only a few inches.

Someone else talking about how holding off with Mildots was so much easier.. Than what? Holding off with a crosshair reticle? Look, if you just shoot & shoot & shoot until you finally hit something, no reticle will help you over another. Just how far exactly were you holding off with them Mildots?

It's madness that this comes up every few days on this site.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bottom line: Mildots suck for HUNTING. Few shooters use them correctly. And apparently nobody can keep MILS/MOA/INCHES straight.
Not even scope makers..

It's madness that this comes up every few days on this site.

Why don't you just admit that you don't know how to do it.

Quote:
There are great examples of this posted here.
Example:
A 12" target@ 2MOA...
He used the NF rule of thumb:
12/2*100 = 600yds
I have seen US Optics use this as well(within a week).
They are wrong.

NF is in MOA, so 12/(1.047*2)*100 = 573yds
This is a huge error with a kill zone of only a few inches.
The error is three inches. What is so huge about three inches of vertical? Would a person miss a prairie dog with a three inch vertical error?