Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Mildot Ranging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Bronze Member

Mildot Ranging

Hi everyone, I have a question about the use of mildots. I can understand the theory and have used it to some extent,I do find some faults with it . If one were to sight in for 200yds using only the center of the crosshair, then use each mildot for a holdover, what kind of problems can be expected? My scope says to use the mildot feature while on 9x, but does this really have an effect? BTW this is on my 22/250 with a 6 x18 Nikon. I was just wondering if I should get more in tune with the formula for using the mildot. Thanks in advance for all the input. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Mildot Ranging

My personal experience has been dirt poor w/ranging and mil dots. Spent 20 min ranging a nice 5x5 bull (couldn't shoot - wrong tag [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]) Ranged and reranged. Finally settled on 695 yards.

Two weeks later I owned a Leica LRF. Went back to that spot. LRF said 365. Couldn't belive it so I ranged it both ways.

I'd say Mil Dots are good for ranging standard sized targets. I was doing real well with a 3' orange foam rubber thing. But elk come in nonstandard sizes.

Just my penny's worth....
Old 07-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
My scope says to use the mildot feature while on 9x, but does this really have an effect? BTW this is on my 22/250 with a 6 x18 Nikon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Use the mildot at 9x power, because if you change the magnification you will change the distance between mildots.

Another option is to play with exball, or another software to see the bullet drop at variable powers, and stay stick with one.

About ranging with mildot, IT IS GREAT IF YOUR TARGET HAVE CONSTANT SIZE. If you apply this theory to big games it will not work, because every animal have different sizes as humans.

Use mildot ranging just at known target size.(paper, car rims, stop signs), but unfortunatedly you will never have this situation while you are hunting.

Chris
Old 07-11-2007, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

"Use mildot ranging just at known target size.(paper, car rims, stop signs), but unfortunatedly you will never have this situation while you are hunting."

Not true! It's no problem when the elk is standing next to the stop sign.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

I'm pretty new to this long range stuff so take my words with a grain of salt...

I was playing with my mil-dot scope the other day, also on a 22-250, and it didn't take me long to determine that for ranging while hunting I don't think there are worth a durn for the reasons stated above! Just my opinion.

Then, (beginners lesson) I was plinking at a dirt bank ~600 yards and determined my hold over using the mil-dots, the shot looked good but I wanted to see better so I cranked my scope up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], same "mil-dot" hold over and I hit about 7 feet low!!! OOps, forgot that whole first focal plane, second focal plane thing. My bad.

I guess I'm just going to have to do the same as EVERYBODY else and learn "clicks." And they say the difference between humans and animals is humans can learn from OTHER'S mistakes. Not me I guess. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

Here's an opinion from someone who uses them quite often. Everyone so far is correct. You need to know the size of your target for the ranging to be accurate. Even then, it takes a lot of practice to get proficient with it. Don't expect to go out once or twice and be able to range within 10 yds of actual distance.

Also, the magnification that the reticle is calibrated for is extremely important. Some scopes are slightly off, so you should calibrate your setting using a yard stick at 100 yds.

All new scopes that I buy are now mildot or some variant. I use them for ranging targets when competing in sniper matches where the target is at an unknown distance and rangefinders are not permitted. Outside of that arena I do not use them for ranging. However, I use it quite frequently to hold for wind and follow-up shots. For instance, when I varmint hunt, I dial my elevation after using the rangefinder. Because wind shifts quite frequently, I typically use the mildot reticle to hold for wind. If I miss and see the impact, I can quickly adjust my hold using the mildot reticle and follow up with a second shot much sooner than making turret adjustments. This allows me to get a shot off potentially before the groundhog goes into his hole, as well as fire again before the wind conditions change.

Bottom line: the mildot reticle is not just for ranging. It can be a very helpful tool if you are proficient using it.

BTW, there are better options than the standard mildot. Leupold's TMR or Nightforce's NP-R2 are just a couple. They offer much more granularity, which increases their accuracy.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty new to this long range stuff so take my words with a grain of salt...

I was playing with my mil-dot scope the other day, also on a 22-250, and it didn't take me long to determine that for ranging while hunting I don't think there are worth a durn for the reasons stated above! Just my opinion.

Then, (beginners lesson) I was plinking at a dirt bank ~600 yards and determined my hold over using the mil-dots, the shot looked good but I wanted to see better so I cranked my scope up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], same "mil-dot" hold over and I hit about 7 feet low!!! OOps, forgot that whole first focal plane, second focal plane thing. My bad.

I guess I'm just going to have to do the same as EVERYBODY else and learn "clicks." And they say the difference between humans and animals is humans can learn from OTHER'S mistakes. Not me I guess. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Colby,

Give me your email addres to send to you my ballistic software for mildot ranging and holdovers, and cosine angle.
Also you have the option to setup different power scope, and you will get all the MILS for holdovers.

It is a peija excell modified for mildot and cosine. I used mine on TX palm, and it is very handy.

Chris