Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Mildot For Everything ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

Mildot For Everything ?

Does anyone use Mildot exclusively? I am giving this some serious consideration as I am relatively new to scoped rifles and while I have been working with holdover I can see limitations on longer range shots. As I understand it, Mildot can also help me with ranging. Shooting eastern woodchucks now but I am sure things will change in time.

Many thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Mildot For Everything ?

All I use now are mil or moa based reticles. I make sure that my reticle matches my turret (meaning if my turret is in moa then my reticle is in moa also) and if I am using a mill based reticle I like to have .5 mill markers on my holdover values.

I don't really like many of the velocity based reticles because you are forced to use the values as they may fall. With the exception of the Nightforce velosity 1000 reticles I try to stick with an moa or mil based reticle.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

I like having a mildot or a comparable reticle in moa or bdc as a back up range finder or medium range hold over but for precision fire or rockchuck sized targets Your going to need to dial. I dial in everything beyond 650 and mostly everything else depending on precision required. Very few reticles would be adequately precise. The basic mildot has very few reference points and most of the more basic hold overs are even worse. A laser is way better , faster and easier to range with. A lrf is a solid investment. Reticle ranging is very doable but slow and much less precise unless your targets dimensions are very accurately known. Just my .02
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 PM

I use Mill dots to shoot out to 800 yards. In good conditions I can cold bore a milk jug at 800. I use a LRF and not the dots for range finding its easy to use milldots if you know your target size the formula is: Size of target in inches X 27.77 / Mill reading= Distance to target in yards.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

I would prefer it on all,but have older scopes that are hard to replace cost wise
Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
I like having a mildot or a comparable reticle in moa or bdc as a back up range finder or medium range hold over but for precision fire or rockchuck sized targets Your going to need to dial. I dial in everything beyond 650 and mostly everything else depending on precision required. Very few reticles would be adequately precise. The basic mildot has very few reference points and most of the more basic hold overs are even worse. A laser is way better , faster and easier to range with. A lrf is a solid investment. Reticle ranging is very doable but slow and much less precise unless your targets dimensions are very accurately known. Just my .02
+1

I use the mil dot somewhat different than most. With the advent of the new LRF range finders
I no longer use the mill dot to range with.

I like to zero the rifle and then find out where each dot will be on at what distance. this works
well if there is no time to adjust the turrets on known distances.

I have used mill dot scopes successfully at 800+ yards using them for bracketing game but this
is on pest and pigs and prefer to adjust the turrets on Deer and Elk .

As said the LRFs are much more accurate and should be used if at all possible. But in a pinch
a mill dot scope can save the day if used properly.

I still use the mill dot (Although not exclusively) and find them very useful for doping the wind.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

I greatly appreciate the time you all have spent replying to my original post. I have been following each reply but waited until today to say thanks. There is a lot of very good information in this thread and it certainly answers my question and then some.

Best,
Zep