Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

mil/mil scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

mil/mil scope?

Is there anything out there in the $1,200 or less range with glass good enough for hunting to 1000yrds, exposed turrets and a mil reticle and mill adjustments?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: mil/mil scope?

If you are looking for a scope with the power range of 2.5-10x I know of one that is $1150.00. What power magnification are you looking for?

Mike @ CST
Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

Something in the 14-16 range on the top end would be ideal. If the glass is really good I would go less.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

The NF NXS 3.5 - 15 scopes aren't much more than that. You might call Leupold and see if they offer an mil turret for their Mark 4 scopes. I thought they did, but couldn't find it when looking--the 4.5 - 14 Mark 4 scopes should be just under your $1200 number. Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
The NF NXS 3.5 - 15 scopes aren't much more than that. You might call Leupold and see if they offer an mil turret for their Mark 4 scopes. I thought they did, but couldn't find it when looking--the 4.5 - 14 Mark 4 scopes should be just under your $1200 number. Good luck.
I do plan on calling Leupold about a Mil turret, but I don't think it is an option.

I would love to buy the Nightforce, but see, $1000 is the budget, $1200 is what I figure I can get away with, $1400 may mean moving to the dog pen.

Edited to add: If I have to sacrafice one of the original requirements it will be the mil/mil setup, it would be nice but but so would a lot of other things.

Last edited by Forester; 11-06-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
I do plan on calling Leupold about a Mil turret, but I don't think it is an option.

I would love to buy the Nightforce, but see, $1000 is the budget, $1200 is what I figure I can get away with, $1400 may mean moving to the dog pen.

Edited to add: If I have to sacrafice one of the original requirements it will be the mil/mil setup, it would be nice but but so would a lot of other things.
Yes, I've mentioned this before, but I sure wish Leup would get the matching reticle to turret thing figured out and offer both in mils and MOA. It seems like such an obvious thing to many of us, but it seems to escape them. I've talked to Ray Brock, Tactical Line Manager, a couple of times and it doesn't really seem to sink in--especially the a part about offering and NPR1 MOA type reticle. Instead he talks about offering several of the Horus 'reticles' here soon--talk about a scope full of reticle... The Horus 'reticles' seem to be a ranging reticle and while I'm sure they work well, you have to know the size of the target. That only works out accurately enought to shoot so far, as we know. What do I know, but I don't think reticle rangfinding is going to be accurate for solid, first round kills at much over several hundred yards for most of us. Why not just offer matching turrets and reticles in mils and MOA. Seems like a very simple concept. Geezz...I'd better stop my rant and get off my soapbox here. Sorry... Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, I've mentioned this before, but I sure wish Leup would get the matching reticle to turret thing figured out and offer both in mils and MOA. It seems like such an obvious thing to many of us, but it seems to escape them.
For one, MILs are for ranging, and by far least desired for adjustment(hold off or dialing). MOAs are for adjustment with higher resolution, and IPHY is a tiny bit more defined still.

Quote:
but I don't think reticle rangfinding is going to be accurate for solid, first round kills at much over several hundred yards for most of us. Why not just offer matching turrets and reticles in mils and MOA. Seems like a very simple concept.
It's true that reticle bracketing with assumed target size provides nowhere near the accuracy of laser rangefinding.
And holding over instead of dialing just adds more error to it.

I really wish everyone would stop whinning to scope makers, before they get what they ask for,, -screwing the rest of us.