Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Mil-dot vs. BDC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Re: Mil-dot vs. BDC

The Mil-Dot is, in my opinion much more versatile than the BDC, with The major benefit being the ability to range your target with simple math(I do it and i'm only 11). In the long run I believe you will be much more satisfied with the Mil-Dot reticle.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Ones for rangefinding and one is for adjusting your aim after you know your range.
Mils are an angular measurement as is MOA and both can be and are used for trajectory correction
Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
Mils are an angular measurement as is MOA and both can be and are used for trajectory correction
Any reticle with markings on it can be used for ranging or drop compensating. Even
the old lupy duplex is a rangefinder of sorts. But mil dot scopes are not made for hold
over, they are made for rangefinding, Bullet Drop Compensators are designed for just
that. They each have a distinct advantage in their appropriate field of use. And I have
moa scopes that are made for rangefinding, that wasn't the op's question.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

wonder why nikon has a ballistics and compensating program for their mildots then? Im confused.

Last edited by ishootkittens; 01-04-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

I don't know about the nikon specifically but if you have a drop compensator made
up for a certain load and gun it's markings, whether on the turrets or in the reticle
will be on 100, 150,200,250,300 etc.. or the graduations of your choice. A moa or
mildot scope your load will be on the marks at random distances. 110, 168, 214, 278
etc.. Now you can adjust your aim for it but it is not as convenient as having them on
the major yardages. Inch per hundred yard or IPHY reticles and dials are my personnel
favorite.
Do some reading on how to use the various scopes you are interested in and you will
gain an understanding of how they work and what they do best. Most of us use rangefinders.
The only time I really use my scopes ranging finding capabilities in the field has been during
snowfalls and very cold temps when my rangefinder failed.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Silver Member

The mildot card for the military even has hold over for your zero. The mildot was designed for much more than just ranging. That is only 1 part of it's design. One of it's designs was to have multiple zeros for fast target engagement, wind hold over.designed to allow the shooter to estimate accurately the range to a target, to compensate for the bullet drop, and to compensate for the windage required due to crosswinds

From 1 of the designers of the mil dot reticle:
designed to allow the shooter to estimate accurately the range to a target, to compensate for the bullet drop, and to compensate for the windage required due to crosswinds, and be non caliber specific.

Last edited by mikebob; 01-05-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

Those turret scopes sound AWSOME, but i bet they are rather expensive. Any recommendations? For under 500 bucks hehe... sorry, im a college kid!