Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Mil-dot vs. BDC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

Mil-dot vs. BDC

Im at another crossroad. I have decided to go with a nikon scope of somesort for my .270wsm and I was hoping to get some advice. I really want a 4.5-14 or 16X 40 but I dont know what reticle I want. The milidot and the BDC is what im having a hard time with.

The BDC looks really nice but they are just cirlces under the crosshair, but how accurate can those cirles really be. They are huge. I dont want something that I have to guess at! HELP!

what are the pro's and cons of each?

THanks guys.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: Mil-dot vs. BDC

Ones for rangefinding and one is for adjusting your aim after you know your range.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

so the mildot cant be used as a "Holdover" tool?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 AM

Yes a mil-dot can be used for hold over. The BDC is a good tool but you have to know ballistics of every bullet you use. Same is true of a hold over but a BDC won't help you range. This is a good training tool. www.mil-dot.com/index.htm
Old 01-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

yeah ive seen those before. THey looked really confusing. But so does everything else until you learn, I guess! well I dont know if you have seen nikon's SPOT ON program on their website but you basically put in any bullet, even if they dont have it listed, you can make your own, and then you pick the reticle you want and booom it calculates what each BDC ring or Mildot represents. I thought they did a nice job with the program, i just wondered what you guys thought about the two reticles.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:35 PM

I like mil-dots
Old 01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

A good ballistic program will tell you the hold overs on mildots for ? power range. I like mildots better because I still dial up but have mils to hold for wind. A BDC you might not have to dial up but there is nothing there for wind so you have to dial it in. I have several BDC and mildots and I think the reticle with wind holdovers is a must have.