Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

mil-dot reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: mil-dot reticle

[ QUOTE ]
Yep LRF superior.. untill your batteries go flat, its gets foggy or reals poors with rain, or you leave the LRF in the 4x4 or at home. The mildot is a superb redunadan system. If you get used to ranging in meters and adjusting in fractions of miliradian then it takes about 10 minutes to learn. It pays to have a plan B.
Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, Pete. I would disagree with you on one point though.
It really takes more than 10 minutes to learn the mil dot system. Or at least for me. Maybe I'm just "numerically challenged"...sakofan..LOL
Old 04-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Two Post bamboos, Versatrig 1450 and Versalog 1460 complete with case and belt snap, they bring back a lot of painful memories.

If you want to just have a scope with a vertical scale with distances assigned look at the Burris ballistic mil dot. It has the holdover bars plus the mil dot. I have one on a 45XTR TC muzzleloader. Of course just like Big Bore, that slide rule ruined my brain so I have a little piece of paper under acetate on the stock so I can remember which end of the gun to point at the deer and which little dot and bar to use.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Here's my 2 bits worth.

Bought the mil dot scope for ranging. Got pretty serious with the project. Ranged a bull elk at 595 yds over a 20 minute period. (Was yote hunting and no elk tag for the area). Over the 20 minutes every time the bull would move I'd run the ranging process. Always got close to 595 yds.

My other test with an orange piece of foam tubing worked well also. I knew it was 36" long.

Got the LRF. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] The elk turned out to be 395 yds away.

Now the LRF is the range finder and the drop chart on the butt tells me where to hold. It works great. Next thing is to get a gen 2 Mil Dot as trying to hold 2.3 mils over is a bummer.

From now on all scopes will have mil dot or maybe a Burris Ballistic Plex that I'll calibrate my self. Want to find a good deal on one for my 375 H&H.

FWIW
Old 04-13-2005, 05:23 AM
Silver Member

The point blank idea is a good thought. Truth be told I probably never will shoot any deer or elk beyond 400 yds. However I envy the shooters in this forum and their abilities so I think I will get one to use at steel gongs in the off season, and just use like a regular reticle in hunting season. It would be nice to learn. I had a bad technology experience on a bowhunt last fall. My bow sight is an electronic "red dot" I took plenty of new batteries for it by the third day I was out of batteries that were good and I was robbing batteries out of the keyless entries from our pick ups. No plan should ever be without a back up. Thanks for the help. Chain