Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

mil-dot reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

mil-dot reticle

Is a mil-dot reticle practicle if you have a rangefinder? I was looking for a new scope for my .300 win I have never used a mil-dot. I have heard that scopes with target knobs can get in the way while in a rifle scabbard so I thought I might get a mil-dot and just assign a point of impact for each dot. I us this rifle exclusively, I hunt here in MI but plan on going west to hunt. Thanks Chain
Old 04-12-2005, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: mil-dot reticle

[ QUOTE ]
Is a mil-dot reticle practicle if you have a rangefinder? I was looking for a new scope for my .300 win I have never used a mil-dot. I have heard that scopes with target knobs can get in the way while in a rifle scabbard so I thought I might get a mil-dot and just assign a point of impact for each dot. I us this rifle exclusively, I hunt here in MI but plan on going west to hunt. Thanks Chain

[/ QUOTE ]

Chain, if you don't WANT to learn the mil dot system, I would stick with the RF and a duplex type reticle.
I think the RF is superior to mil dots for range estimating, but thats my opinion and of course, YMMV....sakofan.....
Old 04-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Gold Member

Yep LRF superior.. untill your batteries go flat, its gets foggy or reals poors with rain, or you leave the LRF in the 4x4 or at home. The mildot is a superb redunadan system. If you get used to ranging in meters and adjusting in fractions of miliradian then it takes about 10 minutes to learn. It pays to have a plan B.
Pete
Old 04-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

My primary concern, although I wasn't thinking of a back up, was using the mil dot to eliminate hold over. I was just going to crank it up to the highest power and use the vertcle dots at certain ranges. I would sight it in @ 200 in the center and work from there. Does this make sense ? Thanks Chain
Old 04-12-2005, 01:32 PM

Chain,
The bottom line is: Get what you want. If you're willing to spend a little time learning to use the mil dot, you will not be disappointed. I have both, and I can say that the mil dot offers you more options. If you can dope the wind & do the math, you can make some shots; you previously thought impossible! Put it this way, You can use a mil dot like a typical crosshair recticle, but you can't do the opposite. More options always appeals to me, in most situations.... Just my .02
Old 04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Silver Member

I just switched over to the mil-dot reticle myself. I think I will keep buying scopes with it. I've already learned to use the mils for windage adjustment instead of cranking on the target knobs, very very effective after just a little trial time.
If you switch to a mil-dot make sure you get a scope that the dots in the reticle keep the same MOA no matter what power you have the scope on. I bought a cheap scope and the dots are 3.14 moa at 10x, but considerably smaller when I crank it up to 24x. because of this I usually leave my scope at 10x when I have to deal with a lot of wind.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 04-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

If you need a backup system, get another rangefinder. With point blank ranges on high powered rifles 500 yards (beyond which Mil dot is useless unless you are very good) - I prefer the NP-R2 reticle on my Nightforce

I heard the same argument 35 years ago with the advent to calculators - when your batteries die my Slide rule will still be working [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've still got a slide rule but I have to use my calculator to check the results [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I admire anyone who can use a slide rule or mil-dot. I don't have the patience or skill to use either. I'm a victim of technology.

There are plenty of marines who can out shoot me at 500 meters (kneeling ) when I'm using my $1,200 Nightforce and they are using iron sights -