Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which mid-range scope rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 PM

Which mid-range scope rings?

So, I was looking at the Burris XTR, Signature Zee, Warne, Vortex Viper, TPS and other similar priced rings. I would like to stay under $100 for a set of rings, preferably under $75.

I am shooting a Savage 10 P-SR in .308 with a 30mm Falcon Menace 4-14x44mm FFP scope. I have been reading this and other forums extensively for a week or so, and still can't decide. The Burris XTRs are mentioned often, though I am intrigued by the write up on the Vortex Viper rings (matched pair and kept together during the manufacturing process). I don't want to have to lap the rings and my scope base fits perfectly with no bedding required.

Based upon the scope ring calculator, it appears I need rings around 1" high. I like the simplicity of the Signature Zee, but they are among the highest (1.18" IIRC). The XTRs are nice, but some say the 6-screw rings limit placement on the rail/scope. I've read the ones like Vortex and Warne with the screws on top can be difficult to adjust. Since this is a short rifle and I will keep the stock in a traditional configuration (even when I replace the factory stock), I probably will go with aluminum rings to keep the weight down.

Given that, which of the mid-priced rings would you recommend?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Which mid-range scope rings?

The Signature Zee are very nice. With the plastic inserts they have there is no need for lapping. And they don't leave a ring mark. If weight is a primary concern Talley's are worth a look.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which mid-range scope rings?

+1 on the Signature Zee rings, I use them on almost everything.

Chris