Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Meopta vs. Nightforce ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Bronze Member

Meopta vs. Nightforce ??

Here's one I need some help with please. Does anyone have a Meopta (preferably Meostar R1 4-16x44 Mil Dot) and a Nightforce that can give me a head to head comparison? I'd love to hear from anyone who has used both and can give me an accurate comparison too. I know the Nightforce is probably a superior piece of glass, but they are also more expensive... Just reading the forums, Nightforce seems to be the favorite by far on this sight. Pricewise, they are a little more than I usually spend, but it seems like you get what you pay for in high end scopes. I usually buy the higher end Leupolds (buy American you know..) but I stepped out and bought the Meopta and have been thrilled by it's performance. Is the Nightforce that much better? If so, what makes it that much better (enough to justify another $300+). I welcome anyone who has both or has used both, or just informed opinions. I use my scopes mostly for hunting. My lease does give me the opportunity for 800 yard+ shots if I feel like it's a good humane shot. Let me hear some feedback please. Thanks, hopt
Old 07-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Shudda kept my mouth shut.

Scott you otta be in bed.

Last edited by royinidaho; 07-29-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

This is sorta apples to oranges. The Meopta is European optics (they make Cabela's Euro styled binos) and will have better glass than the NF. However, the specs, features, finish, QC, and warranty service will be better than Meopta. The NF was designed from the ground up to be a tactical scope, the Meopta is a tac-styled hunting scope.

The NF is a safe bet for the money, and you will be able to dial in long range. The Meopta won't get you too far.

Scott
Old 07-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

I dissagree about the better glass. Don't think Meopta has anything better. Or even close. But then I don't have 'em both on hand.

Buy Nightforce and be happy!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Bronze Member

grit,
Thanks for the reply, i'm assuming here as far as the glass goes. I have a Meostar R1 4-16x44 on a Browning Eclipse 7 mag. I just keep hearing the raves about the nightforce scopes, wondering how I've lived this long without one......!!
thanks, hopt :eek:
Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
Ditto
Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
I dissagree about the better glass. Don't think Meopta has anything better. Or even close. But then I don't have 'em both on hand.

Are you disagreeing about the quality of the glass based on "don't have 'em both on hand" or have you compared the two scopes? I'm curious if this is based on your examination? Someone else's examination and opinion? Or are you just content with Nightforce based on the one(s) you own without having compared them to the Meopta. I'm certain Scott has looked both scopes over carefully prior to posting his comments. That's what he does for a living. Examine and sell optics. He's pretty good at comparing glass. Oh... he uses scopes too, so he has more than a passing interest in getting it right.