Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Maxed out Elevation??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

Maxed out Elevation??

Lemme give you a run down of the equipment first:

Savage model 12 BVSS 300 wsm 26'' heavy barrel
EGW Picatinny 20 moa base
Burris Tactical rings medium
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 Mildot
Winchester Supreme E-tip 180 gr.

I went to the gun range this morning, excited about shooting my new setup. I maxed out my elevation trying to zero in at 100 yds. I was like wtf! After maxing out, I was still 1/2'' low. My first question is many MOA's can be obtained from going to a low style ring? I have 40 moa internal and to say the least I would like to be in the bottom 25% of that 40 moa at 100 yds. So what can I do different to this setup to achieve my goal? Low rings, 25 or 30 moa base, is there anything else that can be done. I don't like the idea of shimming, because it makes the makes the bolts "cattywhompus."

One other thing, on my 42mm Monarch, Nikon says it is sunshade adaptable. Anyone know how I can do this? Between 10 and 11 this morning the sun was glaring right in my scope making it almost impossible to see, so a sunshade is in order.

Thanks in advance for your time,

John

Last edited by LostInSpace278; 10-26-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Maxed out Elevation??

Well after some research, it seems I can get 1/4'' from going to low style ring. I guess my only other option is to give Seekins Precision a call. If I have 40 MOA internal and I'm maxed out now with a 20 MOA base. A 40 Moa base will only get me 2/3 of the usable MOA's I want. Has any one else ever ran into this problem before?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I maxed out my elevation trying to zero in at 100 yds. I was like wtf! After maxing out, I was still 1/2'' low.
You maxed out your elevation (UP ?) and your still .5 moa low at 100 yards?????

If that is the case you have your 20 moa base on backwards.

You should be really close to maxing out your down elevation and even if you were 1/2" high I'd either get a 10 moa base so you might get 30 moa adjustment up or live with a 200 yd zero and keep your 20 moa base.

You'd never....not even a chance.....have a 100 yd zero with a 40moa base.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

You should be able to contact wherever you bought your scope and ask about a sunshade. Start there. Is the inside of the Objective Bezel threaded?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If that is the case you have your 20 moa base on backwards.
LostInSpace278,

That was my first thought! 20 moa base would have to be backwards.

When you place the 20 moa base (thinner portion towards the barrel), and assuming your scope turret has been centered vertically, you should be able to turn the turret 16 moa downwards to be on target at 100 yards. that would stop you 4 moa away from buttom out which is good and the ability to go up 36 moa. I you don't want to go to the limit call it 34 moa which would about be enough to around 1200 yards using Norsler Accubond 180 gr. at about 3000 ft/sec MV. ;)

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with previous posts. You've got your base installed backwards.

Like you, I just changed the set-up on my .308 and installed a 30moa base. I made a 16moa change DOWN and I was pretty much zero at 100.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Bronze Member

Good call guys. I had this epiphany at work today. "Maybe it's not the hardware....maybe it was the guy who installed it!" So I tried to remember if I checked the 20 MOA base before I installed. You guessed it...NOPE!

First thing I did when I got home, was to check and see if I installed it backwards. Sure as the world, I did. It's installed correctly now....one thing is for sure, after such a simple piece of hardware makes you feel like an idiot. It will be one mistake not soon repeated. I do thank you guys for chiming in with such incredible insight. I'm sure I'm not the first to install it backwards, but I am a man that will admit my own faults. It's a learning process and not all lessons are easily learned.

So centering it up vertically and dropping 16 MOA really works that good? That's a cool trick to know.

Just for future reference the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 has around 60 MOA. At least I counted 243 clicks from bottom to top and 243 from top to bottom.

I'll get into contact with The Optic Zone about the sunshade. Thanks again for all your help guys, I really do appreciate it.

John