Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

March scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: March scopes

Yeah, ED glass has more benefits than just the optical results. The lenses can be thinner and lighter which makes them easier to secure and fewer lens elements are required as less optical correction is needed. So the ED glass basically makes it easier to make a lighter, more durable scope in addition to giving such a nice view....
Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Be advised, Deon warranty to the original buyer is just five years; and it does not apply to the subsequent owner (I took a chance). I have heard of two March's being returned for minor problems.
Ouch! Thanks for passing on your experience and the March warranty details. I'm afraid the warranty information will keep me from owning one. Until the warranty changes to conform to Premier Heritage and NF scopes, I can't see March developing a large user base amongst hunters. Their web advertisement states that they intend to remain a small company, and their warranty will ensure that to be the case. No transferable warranty means the resale value will be compromised substantially. Sounds like a high quality scope with a low quality warranty. Not to knock your scope. It sounds like you're really happy with it. Just hope it doesn't fail and need repair work.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Bronze Member

I think the idea of a 2.5x25 is the cat's @ss!!
I know nothing about the inner working of optics, but why has this new company came out with a 10 power scope and the old standby names have been keeping us in the dark ages of optics?
A bush scope and a long range scope all in one package, what else would you need?
Cdog.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Other companies don't offer 10:1 zoom because they can't, or at least haven't been able to yet. It's very difficult to make such a wide ratio with acceptable optics that fits in the tube of a scope. When IOR first came out with 6:1, they needed a 35mm tube and adjustment range was still limited. For their 7:1 they use a 40mm tube. Swaro and Bushnell have now done 6 and 6.5 in a 30mm, but adjustment range is very limited for the high power models. Apparently there were some Swaro Engineers at SHOT who simply would not believe March had done it until they saw the scopes for themselves. Anyway, that's why these have raised so many eyebrows--if it was easy to do, everybody would be doing it.

The warranty issue is something that people will need to look at closely. I've done a lot of buying and selling of scopes lately and so if it doesn't transfer that wouldn't be helpful. Though if it runs out after 5 years anyway it's not quite as big a loss. I would want to find out about typical repair costs, etc, before I made the plunge.

The flip side of looking at that is I was very well treated by IOR's warranty but would not risk putting another 3-18 on the 300. I'd rather not need to use the warranty. If the reliability of these scopes for typical warranty-type repairs you see with other brands is as good as some say it might not be much of an issue, especially if repair costs are reasonable.

If I smash a S&B or Premier by running over it with a truck, having a horse lay on it, or hitting it with a bat, etc, I'll need to buy a new one so it's no different there. It's really only an issue for a failure that would be caused by a manufacturing defect that wouldn't happen or you wouldn't notice in the first 5 years. Of course none of my broken IORs made it that far or even close.

So it is a strike against them and it would be nice if they could work out something better. I'd certainly get more details and talk to the benchrest guys who use them to hear their experiences if considering one.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:29 AM
Platinum Member

You make some good points. All in all I still tend to conclude they'll need to improve that warranty in order to develop a substantial user base. It needs to be transferable or resale value will definitely be compromised.

I'd still like to look through one, as I expect their warranty will improve or they won't survive the competition.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Several months ago, there was a post on BR Central that claimed the Japanese government has a law limiting all warranties to five years. I have not been able to confirm this. Does this apply to Japanese made cameras, TV's, and other electronics or just optics, or is there no truth to that post?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Bronze Member

I bought a March 40 x.

I would rather deal with Hobbie Bond at Kelby's than leupold any time.

This is the voice of experiance speaking....

My next purchase probably :

March FFP 3x-24x Tactical Scope - Sniper's Hide Forums

Stonewall -Glenn Jackson
Calgary

Last edited by Stonewall2; 12-06-2010 at 09:45 AM.