Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Making a tapered base questions.....?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Silver Member

Making a tapered base questions.....?

If I want more up/down adjustment from a scope, so i can dial in different yardages, (using tikka 2 pc flat weaver bases), can I just mill off some material from the front base, like .020", or do I take .020" of of both bases? This is a 24x burris scope. Thanks Also, will I need special plastic insert offset rings like burris, if I just take .020" off the front base? Thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Making a tapered base questions.....?

Unless you can machine a tapper across both bases, say .20 at front tapering to .000 at the rear you'll need the Burris rings so the scope will align, but if you have to have the Burris rings anyway just get the ones that have the different MOA inserts and don't mess with the bases.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

If I just go to lower ring ...med to lows....will that be enough for me to pick up elevation?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
If I just go to lower ring ...med to lows....will that be enough for me to pick up elevation?

Not a solution IMHO
Old 03-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
Like jwp475 said, not gonna work. Simply changing the height of the rings won't really get you anything other than a higher or lower scope.

Go here Scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars and range finders and scroll down to Info and diagrams about shiming scope bases and you can see the diagrams about different methods of shimming and what happens. Just remember that the angles in the diagrams are exaggerated to make it easier to understand.

The Burris Sig rings with inserts would get you what you want also.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post
Like jwp475 said, not gonna work. Simply changing the height of the rings won't really get you anything other than a higher or lower scope.

Go here Scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars and range finders and scroll down to Info and diagrams about shiming scope bases and you can see the diagrams about different methods of shimming and what happens. Just remember that the angles in the diagrams are exaggerated to make it easier to understand.

The Burris Sig rings with inserts would get you what you want also.

The Burris rings that ss7mm mentioned would be an inexpensive way to solve your delima.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

thanks!