close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

This is all great info cant wait for the results hoping to try out a swaro this weekend see how it works on the big snow covered fields tons of dogs out on the fields still breeding . They are everywhere .

Shure sounds like the quality control on all of the range finders is below sup par . Doesnt matter what model make etc you own . Buddy just stoped by with his bushnell arc and it ranges twice as far as mine ever did and works great out in the fields . Even right before dark . Never fails I always get the lemons .
    Unread 02-11-2009, 05:05 AM
    Bronze Member

money no object huh.. Try a vectronix!!! I will range anything..

Unread 02-11-2009, 06:26 AM
    Platinum Member

The Lieca is a good laser range finder for those that do not need tje longer ranging ability of the Swaro. My Swarovski will range things that the Lieca simply will not and a lot farther away as well

Last edited by jwp475; 02-11-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    Unread 02-11-2009, 06:33 AM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broz View Post
    But I still am going to test all 3 mentioned.
    When are you planning this test? If fairly soon, I could send you my Newcon if you like. It would be nice to see how they all compare. Not the best optics but they range the **** out of things.
    Unread 02-11-2009, 07:23 AM
    Platinum Member

WOW! Excellent crossfeed ... very informative. I too am in the market for (my first) rangefinder. My local sports store can't keep the Leicas on their shelf so I was not able to try them ... just the Swaro and the Zeiss. IMHO, the Swaro has slight advantage optically. But I do like the feel of the new Zeiss 8X26 PRF, it has built in ballistic information system (BIS)/holdover. Took the Zeiss out of the store for a test and range a target @ 895 yds on a cloudy Montana day ... I was too shaky to range farther/smaller objects .

One of the asst managers field tested all 3 and he recommends the new Zeiss. Just wondering if others have personal experience or have considered the Zeiss. I have a few months to decide before I buy.

ADDED:

Beam divergence: ~ .4 x 2 mrad

Measuring time: ~ 1.5s max

Thanks!

V/R

Ed

Zeiss debuts laser rangefinder binoculars (optics.org blog) - optics.org

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 02-11-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    Unread 02-11-2009, 09:28 AM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
    When are you planning this test? If fairly soon, I could send you my Newcon if you like. It would be nice to see how they all compare. Not the best optics but they range the **** out of things.
    Jon, that is a very nice offer. Which newcon do you have? A friend of mine has the 2000 (??) and his shooting buddy has the 3000 (??) or what ever two modles. I am not familiar with their mod. numbers. Like you they state the glass does not compare but they will range looonnng distance. The reason I had not considered one is the size and weight. My long range hunting load is getting out of control. That is why I am going to go with the Swaro, Leica or Zeiss.

As for when. I just sent my Swaro off for repair yesterday and in talking with them I asked that they do a complete check and make sure it is up to standard and as good as a Swaro gets before returning it to me. They said they would. So we will see when it comes back, I would expect 3 weeks or so. I will have a new Leica in a week and then decide where I can buy or borrow a Zeiss. I do have a friend with one in Wy.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 02-11-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    Unread 02-11-2009, 09:33 AM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nolo263 View Post
    money no object huh.. Try a vectronix!!! I will range anything..

I amost bought one of those once off e-bay. It was a great deal and I am still kicking my self.

Jeff