close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Re: mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

The beam divergence on the swaro is actually a flat rectangle measuring 2.2 MILS wide by 0.5 MILS high. That's about 6ft wide by 1.5ft high at 1k yds. That's from one of the Swarovski technical managers.

I love mine, but I would like to see the beam & aiming point much smaller.
    Unread 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greentimber View Post
    The beam divergence on the swaro is actually a flat rectangle measuring 2.2 MILS wide by 0.5 MILS high. That's about 6ft wide by 1.5ft high at 1k yds. That's from one of the Swarovski technical managers.

I love mine, but I would like to see the beam & aiming point much smaller.
    I think we need to research that. My manual says "2 mrad" indicating it is a circular beam. I will research more but I believe this is correct. Also Swaro told me it was about 6' circle at 1000 yds. I believe you are thinking of the Zeiss or the Leica.

Jeff

Unread 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM
    Platinum Member

I questioned both Leica and Swarovski on this and only Swarovski responded.

They told me the Swaro beam was circular and was 2 mrad. They told me the Leica was .5 x 2.4 mrad.

So.....the Swaro appears to be taller but it also seems to be narrower.

I can tell you this, if you don't have it rock steady when ranging at loooong ranges, it won't matter which one you use as the results won't be correct.
    Unread 02-10-2009, 01:39 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post
    I can tell you this, if you don't have it rock steady when ranging at loooong ranges, it won't matter which one you use as the results won't be correct.
    Definatly, we have a small tripod for it and I like the fact Swaro put a tripod mount on the bottom.

Jeff
    Unread 02-10-2009, 01:49 PM
    Platinum Member

Jeff, I just purchased a new CRF 1200 last fall and it has a hard time ranging deer sized objects past 500 yards in bright sunlight. Bright days it will have a hard time ranging a tree line past 800 yards. Best reading I got was a tree line at 1350 yards right at sunrise and 900 yard deer at sunset. It is a good range finder, but from what I am hearing not as good as the swaro. (I had to draw the line somewhere when buying the toy, but I kinda wish I'd have gone swaro).

Also, in your defence, there is a big difference in the practial use of the scan models and the CRF's. Thescan has a very very hard to push button, and the crf is relitively light. I used a 900 scan for a year prior to the crf and it was really shacky to use freehanded. But I think the ranging ability if held steady would be the same between the scan and the crf (900 and 900 or 1200 and 1200). Glass quality is the same and the CRF is waterproof whereas the scan is only water resistant.

I hope swaro treats you right.
    Mark.
    Unread 02-10-2009, 02:09 PM
    Platinum Member

Mark that is interesting. I have a friend that I mentioned before that is a LR hunter. The day I recieved my Swaro it was eveing and I called him up. I was on my deck while talking to him and ranged a tree at 1485 with out putting down the phone. He was impressed, as was I so he sold his Leica CRF to his dad and promptly ordered up a swao. His first trip to the range (he still had both) he soon learned he hated the delay the swaro had and Leica was ranging everthing as well or better than the swaro and much faster. He sold the swaro and bought another Leica CRF. He also has a newcon that will put them both to shame on distance, but admits the newcon is to heavy, bulky and the glass is not near as nice as the Leica and Swaro.

My point is, there seems to be a pattern that not all units of the same brand are created equal. I really believe this with scopes, I know as far as the middle price scope go it seems that if you get a good one, hand on to it. I will exclude Nightforce from this statement every one of them we own is awesome.

Also an interesting point was brought up earlier in this thread that the reticule sight can be off a bit. You may want to check that as it sounds your is not up to par with the CRF's I have used.

Jeff
    Unread 02-10-2009, 02:31 PM
    Platinum Member

Thanks! I will have to try that with a metal disk in the sun as someone else has said. Better get it done before the warranty is off! lol.