Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

There is no doubt I have a bad swaro now. It is getting worse and I forgot to mention that it will now toss me a bad number if I am trying to range somethig to far away. But I have used other Swaro's too.

I don't buy the part about the old lieca and new leica being the same except for size. We all know some reps never step foot in the woods. I owned the bigger old 1200 LRF SCAN and I have used more than one of the new Leica 1200 CFR's. In the field!! Not at the counter at Cabelas. The new one is better ! I was side by side with my hunting buddy while we shot 5 antelope, this year, 300, 482, 713, 816, and 820 yards. Bright sun, the Leica was quicker every time. And get this, he is an avid long range hunter, took his Muley at 974 this year. He had a Leice CFR , sold it and bought a new Swaro,, Hated it so he sold it and bought another Leica CFR...

I just want to test them all and see for my self on ALL HUNTING aspects. I am kinds on a mission with this. My Swaro cost me a 180" plus WT this year cuz it would not give me the same number twice. I would not take the shot and a chance on wounding that deer right before dark. Two days later I rook the doe at over 1100 yards in full value wind. Guess that one will stick in my throat for a while... Sorry for the rant, but really guys, I have not taken a side yet, but I am on a mission to prove which one I will hunt with next year. Time will tell.

Thanks!
Jeff

Unread 02-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I don't buy the part about the old lieca and new leica being the same except for size.
Broz, that's not the way I meant it. I never tried to imply that they are the same. What I meant was that the swaro was truly superior to either one.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
Broz, that's not the way I meant it. I never tried to imply that they are the same. What I meant was that the swaro was truly superior to either one.
OK, I understand, but I need to prove this to my self. I can not say you are wrong, but I want to weigh all options. Right now the Swaro needs to be sent in and like I posted above I have seen the Leica range much quicker in the field. Plus none of us have heard to many REAL field reports on the new Zeiss monocular. If we were just talking ranging a rock bluff right before sundown I would agree with you. My Swaro has recorded readings of 1998 yards on rock. But I want to judge them all in field conditions on different days. Bright sun, evenings, flat ground, game, targets, repeatability, dependability, accuracy, beam devergence, speed, glass, "reticule visabilty".(.lol you know the swaro will loose that last one) Really I don't care which one is the best, the price is only 2 or 300 difference. I just want the one that works best for me, in my pack.

Sincerely,

Jeff
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Fair enough! let us know your conclusions.
In the Sportsman's Warehouse I played with a Swaro that was pretty slow and I was having trouble seen the big circle, and reading the displayed distance. When I bought mine I made sure it was the newer one. It does make a difference on measuring speed, circle size and visibility of the circle as well as the distance displayed. In my opinion the biggest difference was in seen the display and speed. JMO.

Again I'd like to know what your final conclusions are.

Unread 02-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywire05 View Post
elaborate more on this (vectronics) went to there website just a bunch of ham radio stuff etc. No rangefinder stuff on there website if I am on the right one . Did a goolge search but all radio stuff
so sorry, i didn't spell it correctly. try Vectronix. the PLRF( pocket lazer range finder) are a serious piece of equipement. a coyote at 700 on flat snow is a tall order!
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
Fair enough! let us know your conclusions.
In the Sportsman's Warehouse I played with a Swaro that was pretty slow and I was having trouble seen the big circle, and reading the displayed distance. When I bought mine I made sure it was the newer one. It does make a difference on measuring speed, circle size and visibility of the circle as well as the distance displayed. In my opinion the biggest difference was in seen the display and speed. JMO.

Again I'd like to know what your final conclusions are.
Wait a minute???????? Don't I have the newest one??? I just bought it late last summer.

Unread 02-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Broz,
best I can tell, you do have the new one.
As stated before you better get a hold of Swarovski and send it back.
I was testing mine last night after sunset and off of the dirt off the side of a mountain at 1400 yards it was measuring almost instantaneously. I kid you not. I was impressed how fast I was getting my distances displayed.
Good luck!