Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Not very encouraging customer warranty service from Swaro. Do they expect us to buy two of their units to keep one functional? Hunting seasons don't stop for 10 weeks when their LRF craps out. I'd like to have heard that they sent a replacement out.
I kinda agree, I even made sure to tell them I had an ATS 80 HD spotter and two Swaro scopes besides the Bino's and Laserguide I sent in. They did state that they were haveing trouble with customs even though they notified them in advance of shipments coming through. Said customs can take up to two weeks.

I guess I cary a spare pda and extra batteries. So a spare RF might be worth having. Or we could just limit our hunting to 300 yards....... Nahhhh that would suck.

Jeff
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 AM
PUBLISHER

I previously owned a Leica Locator Plus which is the civilian labeled version of the Vector IV. It was rated for 4,000 yards and would do that easily in bright sunlight. It was an absolutely wonderful unit. I sold it several years ago because it was bulky and heavy...plus I found I never really used its full capability. I assumed I would easily find a lower range, lighter unit but I have failed so far. Reticule color is one serious limitation for me. I can't see the red/orange color of the Swarovski or Leica units you guys use.

In any case, my real point to make here is that even the 4,000 yard, million dollar Leica/Vector would not consistently range a deer at anywhere near 1k on a flat field, nor a smaller coyote past several hundred yards. Even with the Locator Plus I finally conceded that there just simply is a limitation on what the best units will do.

Trying to find the holy grail of range finders is a little bit like chasing your tail. But it is fun to do!

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the "new light" on the subject Len. That is interesting to hear. I doubt I would ever be able to afford the vector. But if I ever did and it failed to range a deer at 1K I would be very disappointed. I am still going to test the 3 units we are discussing here. Not to beat up on any one of them, but to prove two my self which one works best for me.

Jeff

Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

Well, as a backup there's always the mil-dot reticule, although it's not as accurate as the laser. Faster, flatter trajectories are always nice!

I've heard of Swaro shipping a replacement (I can't remember if it was a bino, spotting scope or RF) to a guy in Alaska while he was on a hunt. I wonder if their customer service will do that in an emergency???

I while ago I bought a Strange 9" rear end from a guy that had it as a backup. He blew his Dana and bought 2 9"'ers "just in case". Once he got the good stuff, he never needed it.....
Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Myself I have the older style leica still, but I would like to try out the zeiss victory 8x26. At $600 though I would like wait and see how well they work out for others.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Sorry. Zeiss victory 1300 8x26.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Broz...

Any test results to share? Just wondering if you're still of the mind to test these three LRFs in the field - head to head. Hope life is well!