Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

Does anyone now of a rangefinder that well range in the snow . I hunt in big wide open flat snow covered fields and have tried 3 different range finders the most I can get is about 200 yards and the dogs area about 500 - 800 yards out . Dont care what it costs need to range these dogs and other things out farther any suggestions ?

Thinking it is the reflection of the snow throwing it off or ? Is there a stronger powered laser out there with good magnification as well .
Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

What have you tried? I can tell you that I have noticed if you have two the same brand and modle one will be better than the other. Just like scopes and rifles.

Jeff
Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Bronze Member

Just was with a guy this weekend had a Swarovski, worked well on snow out to 700 yards might range futher, excellent rangefinder, it better than any Leica
Old 02-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eye View Post
Just was with a guy this weekend had a Swarovski, worked well on snow out to 700 yards might range futher, excellent rangefinder, it better than any Leica
Watch out for the swaro's 6' round beam at 1000 yards on flat ground. It will send conflicting ranges. My new 8x30 swaro is acting up too. About 3 times a day I ave to remove the battery and put it back in to get it to come on at all. And yes I have replaced the battery. I am going to buy another Leica 1200 CFR to use while this one gets repaired. Then when it comes back I will use them both side by side the same day on the same objects and see which one I keep. They all make good and bad ones.

JMO

Jeff
Old 02-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Bronze Member

I have tried 2 bushnell models the elite arc both models and I believe the other one was an older leica model . Gets real frustrating when there are coyotes out in the field just laying there for 20 min and you cant get a range on them to shoot so you guess and arent even close . makes me mad.

Was thinknig of buing the new swaro as seems to be good reviews on here .
Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

If you have 20 minutes to shoot, try a mil-dot scope and practice ranging with that. I would think a guy could get pretty good after a dozen close misses
Old 02-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywire05 View Post
Was thinknig of buing the new swaro as seems to be good reviews on here .
Well, sometimes it is one of those "what ever I got is the best things" But the truth is they differ quite a bit and what works for one does not work for another. My biggest bitch about the swaro (well except for the fact it is broke now) is the huge beam devergence. I never had a problem till trying to get it to range a huge WT on flat ground between 950 and 1050 yards. The 6' beam could not give the same reading twice, even off a tripod. It was getting ground, cornstocks, deer and trees behind too.
But if the beam is smaller it will have to be held more solid on target. The Leica 1200 CRF (if I understand what I read correctly) has a shorter beam in height PLUS a much smaller aiming reticle. The swaro seems to range farther but is it as precise?? My swaro worked great ranging into the next side hill on a doe at 1137 yards. One shot dump.
I hope to be able to try all three side by side, the new zeiss, my swaro, and a 1200 CRF Leica. Not just once but for a few days in the field under different conditions. When it's all over I will know what one works best for me, and the other two will be on here for sale..

Jeff