Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

M1 vs. Target turret?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Silver Member
Re: M1 vs. Target turret?

Thanks for the info guys. I understood what mikecr was saying. I don't plan on abusing the scope, but I've never had one without caps. I just want to make sure I make an educated decision before I send this scope off to have these installed.

Unread 05-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member
Re: M1 vs. Target turret?

Originally Posted by 300saum View Post
Which style turret do you guys prefer on a leupold scope for big game hunting, and why? Keep in mind, this will be dragged through trees, cliffs and in and out of horse scabbards.

I have a Mdl. 70 with the Leupold M1 turrets that I use horse back and as a carry rifle. I just developed a habit of quickly looking at the turret and can tell if they have moved. Have not had one rotate yet and would not be a big deal if it did. I prefer the exposed turret itís just simpler.

One other thing if itís a carry rifle and you hand carry it a lot like I do then you might want to just put the elevation knob on as the M1 windage knob sticks out to the side far enough that it hits right at your wrist if you carry it with your right hand and is very uncomfortable. After putting up with mine for two years Iím going to send it in and have them take it off. The wind is a darn guess most of the time anyway. If it was a dedicated long range rifle then I would have both.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein