Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

M1 vs. Target turret?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

M1 vs. Target turret?

Which style turret do you guys prefer on a leupold scope for big game hunting, and why? Keep in mind, this will be dragged through trees, cliffs and in and out of horse scabbards.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Re: M1 vs. Target turret?

If the scope is going to be dragged around alot, I would recommend some type of turret that you can put caps over so it doesn't get turned out of zero unintentionally. The Leupold Mark 4's that I have, all have turrets that don't have any covering over the adjustment turrets.

It would be most inconvenient to drag your rifle out of a horse scabbard only to have the turret turn around during the drag out, not notice it and try and take a shot because you presume your scope is still zeroed. Maybe I'm just nervous about those things, but I like to check everything that can change before taking a shot. Knowing that the turret is secure could speed things up because you would know the rifle hasn't gone out of adjustment.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

There are scopes out there you could drive nails with..
But by the time you spend so much, for such a scope, I'm thinkin you'll wanna take care of it.

A $20 hammer would work better,, so I recommend open sights..
Old 05-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Well, that was a hell of a reply...thanks for the detailed information, I don't know what I would have done without it.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

What Mike is saying is that if youre going to spend so much on a scope, dont drag it around and abuse it. Since you wont want to abuse it, it really wont matter what turrets you get.

As a personal note, my exclusive sheep hunting scope is a mark 4 fixed 10x with M1 turrets. It has been on many very rugged tough hunts through the alders and devils club and up on into the cliffs. I have never had a turret turn without me wanting to. The M1 turrets do not move easily. It takes deliberate action to turn the knob. I prefer ther knobs on my NXS and my mark 4 over the type that take caps. I have used both extensively and it seems like caps get lost in the field often and it is one more step to set up on a shot when time is running out. Just my opinion here.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

Neither my M4's or VX-III's have covers on the turrets. The M-I's don't come with them and the target turret covers all got lost in the field The M-4's are tough scopes and if you are beating on one enough to turn a turret that would be the least of your problems. You are more likely to forget to reset a turret from a pior shot then knock one off zero.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

I have not had any of my turrets get accidentally turned while packing the rifle around hunting, but I don't use the M1's either. I understand the concern that it COULD happen being taken out of or placed into the horse scabbard. For that reason, I'd recommend the target turrets with caps. Honestly, I think if you have time to dial on the elevation, you have time to take the cap off. But I'd be the last one to take advise from as I don't have any experience with the M1's. I've used the capped turrets, and prefer the M3 knobs on Leupolds. Best of luck to ya!