Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Luopold VX-6 disapointment!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 12:55 AM

Luopold VX-6 disapointment!!!

I have purchased Leupold VX-6 3x18-50 and mounted on My B-New Sako A7 .300 WSM for long range app...

Heads up

1- CDS didn't work (3 box of Federal Trophy copper 165gr)
2- after 50 round I noticed a piece of dirt at reticle is moving around after each shot!!! It p.. me off, I called Leupold they said send it back to fix it, I said No I spent $1300 plus 6 box of ammo plus mount and shipping to get a faulty Scope!!!No way to keep this Junk... I have one VX2 and VX3 no problem at all... tried to get VX6 4-24x50 it pricy plus Leupold don't make rings for 34mm tube except Mark4 which is $150!!(It seems they moved to China quality wise!!!!)
Story short now checking on Zeiss conquest HD5 5-25x50.

Thanks for any advise
Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Luopold VX-6 disapointment!!!

I have always had excellent Luck with Leupold Scopes and their Service , but have not bought any new stuff . I would send it back , but if you're not going to do that , what are you going to do with it ?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM

I have returned it already, that's why looking for better scope like Zeiss or night force or Burris Eliminator III!!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Silver Member

What didn't work about the CDS ?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

For many years I was a devout Leupold and Stevens purchaser (I have a bunch of older Leupy optics and a couple newer ones) but a couple things soured me on Leupold. Foremost, they are overpriced for value received.

In essence, Leupold begain offering their optics to LEO/Military at a substantial discount over suggested retail. Thats not an issue with me, what is, is the fact that they are still making money on each sale (even with the LEO/Military discount) so that tells me the retail markup is extreme. to stupid.

Secondly is Leupold's reluctance to publically state where the scopes (and other optics) are actually made or assembled, something that makes me curious as well as cautious about purchasing them. I realize they service their products stateside, I've dealt with them before, with good results, but where are the optics assembled or the intrinsic components mande? Thats a crap shoot.

Finally, I don't care for most of their mounting systems. The quality isn't there and they too, are overpriced. I just mounted a VX3 in Leupy mounts for a customer on his Sako Finnlite and the mounts had to have some hand filing (with die files) to remove machining burrs and the ring halves took considerable lapping to get them concentric, the halves were actually so far off, the scope tube would not bottom in the lower front half. I wasn't impressed, especially for the price of admission (which I didn't pay, the customer supplied all the components).

There are so many alternatives out there, and better alternatives at that, I can't see purchasing optics or mounts from Leupold.

Back in the day, Leupold and Stevens was considered the premier supplier of quality optics. I don't see that today.

Maybe I'm anal about product origination, but when you plunk down hard earned dollars on something expensive, I believe you have the right to know.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

The question I always ask is this.....What the hell difference WHERE the scope is made at as long as its 100% made correctly? Maybe made in Taiwan by off duty B-girls and if it isnt right THEN shipped to Po-Dunk California or wherever and corrected.

Some just whine their head off when they have a problem....but the fact is they whine about something not even related to their actual problem.

Whine, whine, whine
Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

the vx 6 has taken an obscene amount of time to come on the market I wonder why this was, was there problems making the scopes?? also the recent rash of 34 mm scopes leaves me puzzled, why on earth does 99% of people need a 34mm tube scope?? it only offers at best 20 moa more than a 30mm tube and even that not all brands even give you that much extra. put in perspective this takes my 243 ai from 1600 yard to 1800 yards. big deal who is shooting that far with pretty much anything. the reason I speak strongly about the 34mm tube units is because this seems to be where all the development of new scope features is going in particular with bushnell and leupold. while 30mm scopes are not seeing the new features like zero stops and turret options.