Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Luepold Mark AR vs. Vortex Viper HS-T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Luepold Mark AR vs. Vortex Viper HS-T

Hi all-

After a bit of massaging I finally have a Remington 700 in .30-06 that will hold ~1" groups at 100 yards. At this point I am looking to start shooting a bit further. I currently have a very basic Leupold 3x9 on it right now, and am looking to switch to something with a little more magnification, and adjustable turrets. Even though it is meant for the .223/5.56 AR, I have been looking at the Leupold Mark AR in the 4x12 model. My motivation for this is that I have had a good experience with my current scope, and I generally hear good thing about leupold. This scope has all my requirements while keeping it around the $500 mark, which is where I would like to stay. I have not heard of many people recommending or suggesting this scope, so i'm trying to get a bit of feedback.

The other option I am looking at is the Vortex Viper HS-T in 4x16. I've read many good posts and reviews about this scope, and feel like it would be a good choice as well. I'm trying to make it out to the 500 yard mark, so 16x is probably a bit overkill, but it does come with the MOA retical, which would be great for wind holds and shorter shots.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Re: Luepold Mark AR vs. Vortex Viper HS-T

Wow, I thought that question would incite a riotous debate... Anyone?
Old 11-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

I use the Vortex HSLR 4-16 and am satisfied with its performance. I really like the capped windage and use the reticle for wind. Have dialed this thing out to a 1000 yards a lot and it returns to zero perfectly.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Bronze Member

I sell both of these scopes at my job and I'd take the Vortex every time first you will be getting an amazing product with the best warranty in the business by fair. And the turrets will be perfect for you since the elevation turret has zero stop capabilities makes for dialing a lot easier when you do not have to remember where your zero is at. Id recommend Vortex over almost any other product I sell.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS1044 View Post
I sell both of these scopes at my job and I'd take the Vortex every time first you will be getting an amazing product with the best warranty in the business by fair. And the turrets will be perfect for you since the elevation turret has zero stop capabilities makes for dialing a lot easier when you do not have to remember where your zero is at. Id recommend Vortex over almost any other product I sell.
Where is your shop in Lewiston? I'm building another rifle and would like to visit as I will need a scope for it. You can PM the address if you like.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Where is your shop in Lewiston? I'm building another rifle and would like to visit as I will need a scope for it. You can PM the address if you like.
right now I'm working at Sportsmans Warehouse I'm our resident scope guy!
Old 11-26-2013, 01:20 PM

Thanks guys. I haven't had the chance to hold the vortex in my hands or look through it, so plunking down the cash sight unseen is a little nerve racking.

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of info about the Mark AR, but maybe there's a reason for that?!?! I'll stop looking for a recommendation where there isn't one.